Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pascooty
Reel Rookie

Roku Stick Turns TV Off From Inactivity

Jump to solution

My Roku stick Turns off the TV when it (the stick) goes to sleep.  How can I stop this?  Even when changing input, to watch cable instead, the stick will turn the TV off after Roku inactivity.  The TV is a Samsung smart TV.

The only way I've been able to stop it is unplugging the Roku stick.  There must be a better fix than this.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Stick Turns TV Off From Inactivity

Jump to solution

@Pascooty 

If you see a Power menu in your Settings, try disabling the Power Savings Feature. (Will be available on the newer Streaming Sticks 4k/4k+ models).

Settings/System/Power/Auto Power Savings/disable 20min.

Otherwise, using your TV remote (not Roku Remote), see if you can disable the CEC (AnyNet+) function of the HDMI port that you have the Roku Stick attached to.

Alternatively, you can try disabling Roku's CEC feature (1-touch Play) from within the Roku Settings.

Settings/System/Control Other Devices/uncheck to disable 1-Touch Play

---

One of the above things should hopefully address the issue you are having.  If not the Power setting, then likely a CEC function is contributing.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@Pascooty 

If you see a Power menu in your Settings, try disabling the Power Savings Feature. (Will be available on the newer Streaming Sticks 4k/4k+ models).

Settings/System/Power/Auto Power Savings/disable 20min.

Otherwise, using your TV remote (not Roku Remote), see if you can disable the CEC (AnyNet+) function of the HDMI port that you have the Roku Stick attached to.

Alternatively, you can try disabling Roku's CEC feature (1-touch Play) from within the Roku Settings.

Settings/System/Control Other Devices/uncheck to disable 1-Touch Play

---

One of the above things should hopefully address the issue you are having.  If not the Power setting, then likely a CEC function is contributing.

Pascooty
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you!  That worked for keeping the TV from turning off.  I only wish I could not have Roku running in the background 24/7 as well.

AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@Pascooty 

To prevent the Roku from "running 24/7" (assuming you mean it continues to stream), remember to press the Home button on your Roku remote when you are finished streaming.  This will stop streaming/bandwidth use and park the device at the Home screen.  After a while, the Roku device will enter a sleep mode.

In order to wake the device, press the Home button again to begin streaming again.

If by 24/7, you mean that the device is always powered on, then you can try using your TV's USB power port (some TV power ports will power down completely when TV is turned off, thus powering down your Roku device.)  Although an acceptable option, not really recommended because some power ports not able to provide enough power to the Roku device to run it properly, thus causing premature failure or some unwanted behaviors of device.

Alternatively, you can just use the supplied power adapter into a surge protector/strip  and then just turn off the protector/strip thus depriving the device of power when not in use.

0 Kudos