Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Express 4K+ Won't Connect via Belker Ethernet Adapter

Jump to solution

Hi @gregger77,

Thank you for posting here in the Roku Community!

For us to proceed with the appropriate action to resolve this, could you please send us a private message with your current shipping address and phone number?
To send a private message:

1. Sign in to the community.
  2. Click the message count or envelope icon to go to your Private Messages Inbox.
  3. Click Compose New Message.
  4. Enter the recipient's name in the Send to area.
  5. Note: Depending on your role in the community, you might be able to send a message to a group of users based on their role or rank in the community. If so, you can choose a role or a rank.
  6. Enter the subject for the message in the Message Subject area.
  7. Type the reply in the Message Body editor.
  8. Click Send Message.
  9. You can look for the messages you've sent in the Sent tab.

To learn more about how to send a private message, click this Community link: Help - Roku Community
We'll be anticipating it!

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
gregger77
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Hi John,

Just PM'd you, thanks very much.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @gregger77,

Thank you for providing this information to us!

We have already messaged the information that you have provided to us.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
gregger77
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

With thanks to Customer Service, I got a new Express 4K+ and when connecting it via my Ethernet adapter, I got both good and bad news.

Good: It connected via my ethernet switch to the cable modem immediately. Awesome performance.

Bad: The switch STOPPED connecting to my TP-Link/Deco wifi router (which is located about 20' away, connected by ethernet.)

When I unplugged the Roku adapter cable and restarted, the Deco wifi router was back on line; when I plugged in the ROKU, it was NOT able to connect. Either device also works fine if directly connected to the cable modem.

So: I can connect one or the other but not BOTH. Is this because the switch or modem can't accommodate more than one IP address at a time?? Advice is appreciated! 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@gregger77 wrote:

So: I can connect one or the other but not BOTH. Is this because the switch or modem can't accommodate more than one IP address at a time?? Advice is appreciated! 

Yes, you need a router in there somewhere.  If the modem doesn't also contain a router then it only supports one device whether or not you connect a switch.  A switch is not a router, so it doesn't provide IP addresses to anything connected to it.  That's the job of the router.

I don't know why the switch isn't working connected to the router.  That's normally how you'd connect things.  It's not clear if you've tried connecting the Roku directly to the router.  Maybe the switch is bad?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
gregger77
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Ah, my dumb mistake. You're correct, there is no router between the modem and the switch. That's "why the switch isn't working connected to the router" as you point out. The Roku does work fine connected directly to the modem, but unfortunately the modem does not include a router and has but 1 WAN port. 

Thanks for helping me see the omission!

0 Kudos