Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
13SunnyDay

The audio guide started on its own - VERY creepy & concerning

Jump to solution

Thank you for this answer! My issue has been solved with the **** BUT I didn't "accidentally" set the audio guide in Accessibility menu.

Yesterday my Vizio tv, w Roku Premiere + attached, turned itself on! I wasn't near the remote and hadn't had the tv on in days. Roku made this even more creepy and invasive because a bizarre woman's voice was on and it took me a while to understand it was trying to announce every single item I'd click, even in Fubo. I went into the Settings, Audio, Menu Volume and turned it OFF. Did nothing.

After reading your **** solution, I went to Accessibility and Screen Reader was set to OFF. I've never used the Accessibility category. All of this occurred after the tv came on by itself. It definitely feels like an invasion of my life and my home!

How can Roku turn my tv on, and add a bizarre female voice without my permission?

ALSO: I am ignorant as to why a blind person would watch tv, and also how s/he can even understand what this voice is saying? Please explain.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: The audio guide started on its own - VERY creepy & concerning

Jump to solution

@13SunnyDay wrote:
... ALSO: I am ignorant as to why a blind person would watch tv, and also how s/he can even understand what this voice is saying? Please explain.

For the same reason a sighted person would listen to radio.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
falonda

Re: Can I disable the annoying male computer voice on roku 8.0?

Jump to solution

any suggestions when pushing the * button 4 times does not work

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @falonda,

Thanks for your post. 

We're here to help. We suggest checking the setting on your Roku device and making sure it is turned off. To do this, go to Settings > Accessibility > Screen reader > HighlightOff to disable this feature. 

Having a hard time navigating the screen reader is turned on? We suggest visiting the support page to learn How to navigate the Roku interface using the screen reader

Keep us posted on what you find out. 

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

What button should I hit 4xs to disable the male computer voice on my sharp roku tv?

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Tinaclink1948, the * button.  You can also turn it off and disable the shortcut in the Accessibility settings.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos