Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rawlsrules
Roku Guru

Re: Remove "Categories" and "Browse" from Home Screen

Jump to solution

How do you get free internet TV? What does that mean?

Help?

0 Kudos
rawlsrules
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

This is, unfortunately, gibberish to me and therefore useless, but that is my problem.

It is encouraging to see people figuring out how to take some level of control for what they have already paid.

0 Kudos
GrumpyOlMan1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Except then your supporting Google and that's not something I do.  Friends don't let friends use Google.  We're friends right?  LOL

rawlsrules
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Right you are.

0 Kudos
yann-gael
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thanks for the pointer! 

Unfortunately, we need a software update to get rid of the useless rows but blocking some domains gets rid of the images and prevents accessing the content. I couldn't get rid of the images for the "Browse" row but everything else is blocked.

I personally blocked all *.roku.com and *.rokutime.com domains except for
- longview.sw.roku.com
- api.roku.com
which seem necessary for a software update.

I make no claim that this would work for you, your mileage may vary depending on your use of your Roku TV.

rawlsrules
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

How do you block them?

0 Kudos
yann-gael
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I use a Raspberry Pi running Pi-Hole, to which the TV connects. I configured my router to use this Raspberry Pi as DNS so that any request to any domain must go through it and Pi-Hole. Let me know if you need more details!

SmilingBob
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@yann-gael , try clearing the cache on the unit that is still displaying some of the blocked images.  

1. Select Home from the main Menu
  2. Take your remote and click these buttons consecutively
  3. Home Button 5 times
  4. UP button once
  5. Rewind Button 2 times
  6. Fast Forward 2 times.

It will take a few, scroll the screen a little and reboot the Roku.  If that doesn't work, try rebooting your router, pihole, and roku/tv.  My streamers were caching some of the images for a bit, and it took several tries for me to flush all the cache.

SuperRo0t

Jump to solution

I agree 100%.  I just got hit with this trash over the weekend on both of my Roku devices. One is an older TCL and the other is an Express 4K+. Odd how I have auto updates on and just got these. On both Rokus. 

rawlsrules
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Wow.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.