Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JCGoodwin
Roku Guru

Re: Remove "Categories" and "Browse" from Home Screen

Jump to solution

LOL. I've only found two ways around the Tubi ads. I used to just hit my back button moments before an ad started (since they give you notice), then press play again after a short pause, which would cancel the ad break. Not sure it works anymore, though.

The more complex, less desirable option is to download the program on your computer and watch ad-free. I have a flash drive that's loaded with videos from YT, Tubi, and other sites.

@jbhardman: My recommendation is on the previous page. I consider it a temporary switch now, but it might just last if Roku doesn't clean things up. Good luck with whatever you choose. 

Jump to solution

There is a way to disable the automatic switching of themes by Roku for seasonal and paid promotions under "Settings/Themes/Additional Settings" on my Roku Express 4K+. There are separate settings for "Seasonal" and for "Promotional" for selection/deselection. HTH

0 Kudos
yann-gael
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Hi @george45678,

The clutter causing this uproar is well described and explained in this thread. Many described what they now must deal with. And many others explained steps that they tried to remove the clutter from the Home Screen. Some have even offered alternative, temporary solutions until it becomes possible to hide the clutter entirely.

Please read the content of this thread and, because you seem to be working for Roku, please escalate our concerns to your bosses so that the next software update allows hiding the clutter.

Thanks in advance!
Yann

NHH
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I absolutely hate this clutter.  Under "Browse" they have All things Food, All Things Home, and Sports.  Three options I have zero interest in ever watching.  Never going to use anything in it.  Movies I can at least understand, it seems to lump everything you've ever watched from any service, including your own HDs, under those categories.  But again, I wouldn't go there to continue watching anything, I'll always go directly to the app.  I want a way to get rid of both useless categories.  I use that dividing line above apps to get to the apps I use least often, but still want easy access to. 

For those telling us to go into Settings, you obviously haven't gotten this update yet to your systems.  Be thankful.  I just got it a few days ago and have spent far too much time already trying to get rid of it.  It's nothing but annoying clutter.  Like someone else already said, I think Nvidia Shield just became much more attractive to me, it's the first time I've considered another device over Roku.

Please give us an option to remove these from the list of apps.  Or add them both under the far left listing under Home, Live TV, What to Watch, etc.  It makes much more sense for it to be there instead of mixed into the apps.

Brenn
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

This violates ROKU's own Terms Of Use Policy, specifically paragraph four under Streaming Content...

"You are responsible for enabling the content access controls on your Roku products so that any age-restricted content is not viewed by persons not meeting the applicable age limits, as specified by law, regulation, or the content provider. Go to support for more information on how to enable these settings and controls on your Roku device."

I looked at the content in these two sections and found movies about violence, murder, drugs (even one named "Fentanyl", a show starring a convicted felon, and possible bullying.  We have no control over removing this content from our home screens and to curate individual shows looks to be a full-time job.  

rawlsrules
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

To: george45678

Roku provides ways to "hide" or turn off a number of features, but not all of them regardless of whether or not one will use a feature. Your suggestions are no doubt helpful for people new to Roku, but note the previous 38 pages of comments.

rawlsrules
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Have you read the previous 38 pages?

rawlsrules
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Well done. Constructive information. Thank you.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Well it looks like this “feature” isn’t becoming removable. Totally shameless look for Roku.

yann-gael
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thank you @Brenn for digging this info., very interesting!

This is my main concern (and others' too), I have kids and I don't want them to see/access inappropriate content. If our complaint is ignored, maybe there's cause for legal actions based on Roku's own terms of service and any other applicable (local) laws.

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.