Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JCGoodwin
Roku Guru

Re: Remove "Categories" and "Browse" from Home Screen

Jump to solution

I read that article too, and I'm not convinced that the numbers are truthful, or that Roku is doing this to be helpful. They're forcing people to keep this stuff on the Home screen, which tells me that Roku isn't helping users, they're helping themselves.

rawlsrules
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

What they don't seem to understand, nor do many of the other streaming platforms/channels, is that we would like a well designed search mechanism that includes ways to search effectively. This is personal, but I am sure there are other examples: Vudu used to have (years ago, now) a good search system: at least relative to what I liked watching which included different areas within larger categories like foreign, drama, etc.; in particular, I liked espionage. Gone. What they call drama seems to be like the Hallmark channel or Lifetime or whatever it is called. Comedy is all childrens animation. I know I am exagerrating a bit, but this is a pet peeve of mine.

I wish to search through an effective system: that does not mean I want Roku or any other channel telling me what I should search for.

I completely agree that I spend too much time searching but it is because they, all of them, keep deciding what it is we should watch then forcing us to search within those parameters.

Maliska
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@rawlsrules 

You nailed it.

It all comes down to the search.

I see no reason why they can't have a search menu that brings you into all kinds of options like categories and brows sections and they could make that so much more better.

Also in the end their search sucks because they had only search Apps that pay to have their content in their search.

Not sure if anyone even cares or not but in the end if they don't change it I simply will not buy another Roku and my stuff will start slowly turning over to Apple, the other evil empire.

JCGoodwin
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

If I want to find something under a certain genre, I just search within apps, which will usually offer additional recommendations before or after viewing.

The problem, apparently, is that these apps are paying the platforms to go way overboard with even more promotion.

What I don't entirely understand is why Amazon, one of the most successful companies in history, bombards users with so many ads on the Fire screen. Can't they afford not to?

Now Roku has sold out too, when they were already number 1.

0 Kudos
rawlsrules
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Or, not.

Obviously I try different means of searching. They have changed their genres to meet whose needs I've no idea.

0 Kudos
JCGoodwin
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

What apps do you use? I think that Tubi and Netflix have pretty good category listings and search engines, which sounds like what you're looking for.

0 Kudos
rawlsrules
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I don't use Tubi; and I use Netflix only periodically.

Looking at the TV Netflix categories: no. Apparently these are based on what "most" people watch or what Netflix is paid to list; and almost none of them are of interest to me, and of those that are, I've seen them. For example, one of what Netflix considers a genre is "We Think You'll Love These". There are 75 shows listed: two are of interest to me, and one of those I've seen.

And the real point is that what Netflix, or any other channel or platform considers "Bingeworthy" or "Trending" or "Because you added blank to your list" or "Top Picks for you" or "Familiar TV Favorites", etc., etc., are NOT genres. Again: they are deciding what I should watch and allowing me to search within their b.s. choices.

I know this isn't the forum for this or I would go on. But thanks for the suggestions. It takes a lot of use and experimenting, and research for me to get to the point that I start writing on these forums. I'm not saying I cannot learn, but when I say there has been a dumbing down of all these systems, I mean it. And I am sick of it.

0 Kudos
JCGoodwin
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I don't care much for those things you mentioned either. I haven't used Netflix lately, but last time I did, I'm pretty sure that they had specific categories like "International," "Teen," "LGBT," etc. Those are just off the top of my head. Of course, that stuff might not be what you're looking for.

I think that Tubi is surprisingly good for a free service. But, again, that depends on what you're looking for.

rawlsrules
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I agree with you about Tubi: if they had a way to watch without ads. They do have reasonable categories / genres. At least they understand the concept of genre. It's the ads: I'm just too old and too irritable to put up with them!

jbhardman
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Honestly for the first time in a decade considering a new device ecosystem. Apple TV or Nvidia Shield.

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.