Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wildsprite
Roku Guru

Re: Remove "Categories" and "Browse" from Home Screen

Jump to solution

hey Roku, what is with the useless responses. if you're going to force these sections on us at least let us customize them. I would prefer to hide them myself as I don't find them even remotely useful.

Many of us have been asking for the ability to create folders on our home screens for years and you ignore that and give us this garbage. please just stop. these sections should be "OPTIONAL" but you would rather pretend you know what we want. fact is if you had actually emailed us to ask us if we wanted this you would have gotten a close to 100% no to that question.

you experimented with 4x tiles on the home screen. I wanted that as an option(as an option) but you forced it on people that didn't want it.

you really should be emailing us asking if we want to opt into features to try them rather than forcing them on people.

JCGoodwin
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Projectivy.jpg

I just might switch to a Fire Stick and use Projectivy Launcher. Real simple -- like Roku used to be.

Zonexero
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I hope Roku gets it based on the responses on this thread, no one wanted this, its frivilous and useless. People who support your company ARE you core customers, not the zombies who just say ‘yeah thats nice’. When you have “perfect”, just stop, otherwise u are ruining you own creation with bad decisions. 

BamaInArk
Streaming Star

Re: "Categories and Browse" on HOME SCREEN

Jump to solution

Apparently this has been going on since October.   Funny but it only hit me on Dec 2nd.  Slow rollout?  Another long topic about it here:

https://community.roku.com/t5/Features-settings-updates/REMOVE-recommended-for-you-on-roku-home-scre...

moemoe111
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Roku,

If this stays, we're chucking our Roku in the garbage and will simply stream from our media server. Please listen to your community. Give us the content and options we ask for please and stop forcing your increasingly terrible product choices on your community.

I don't want my kids even seeing half of the product titles that you are forcing upon us.

There is nothing family or user friendly about this change and don't delude yourself otherwise.

Ar7

Re: "Categories and Browse" on HOME SCREEN

Jump to solution

Good grief. Roku sucks now. Keep screwing with the one thing that people like about your product. The home screen. 

Joeaug
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Not sure if these Roku moderators are actually real people or just bots, but today these categories showed up on my TCL TV as well. I don’t think Roku is going to allow you to get rid of it because the idea is to increase revenue. Not hopeful that any solution will be provided to this, other than buying eight Apple TVs in my case. Roku was good while it lasted. 😞

Joeaug
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

And as another poster recently pointed out, Roku was bragging to Wall Street about adding these things in the latest releases of the OS, so they are not going away, and are probably a foreshadowing of even worse things to come. Again, my guess is that Apple TV will be the last one to go down this road because the devices are more expensive, and Apple does have a pretty good track record. I just hate spending over $1000 and changing ecosystems - but I wish everyone on here could. It would be interesting to see what message that would send to Wall Street.

moemoe111
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

You actually got me looking into this and I think I have found our family's new Xmas present this year. Unless I'm reading it wrong, AppleTV 4K is about $130 and has many of the same apps. I'm definitely going to look into this a bit more but I'm glad you and the poster above mentioned it.

I will gladly suffer through the initial nuisance of changing ecosystems to avoid these recurring hassles forced upon us by Roku.

Joeaug
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

It is doable for sure. if you’re like me and purposely bought Roku TVs over the years to avoid having extra boxes dangling, it is certainly a disappointment. You have to account for mounting the extra box, and you have to deal with the Apple TV remote, which is not ideal. I’m looking into this at the moment, but I believe Apple TV boxes can control the power to most HDMI TV sets so that helps a little bit. The Apple TV does provide superb picture quality and it is speedy.

And I’m also wondering if Roku is going to delete our posts soon…