Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brenn
Binge Watcher

Re: Remove "Categories" and "Browse" from Home Screen

Jump to solution
Prisoner428
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

It just popped up on our TV today. Honestly I'm tired of them "fixing" things. This will be the last Roku product we get.

Goldguy79

Jump to solution

@RokuJer 

You need to submit this feedback to your developer team. This is the stupidest thing you can do without the option to allow people the customization - to remove features that nobody is even going to give 2 **bleep**s about. Stop being morons

Jibz
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

It's been since yesterday morning that this obnoxious bull**bleep** showed up on my beautiful screen without a **bleep** option to turn it off and I'm still seething! 

STUPID! JUST BRAIN DEAD STUPID!

tviking

Jump to solution

Adding to the chorus of users actively looking for an alternative platform. This is an unacceptable change - not only is it annoying to us, we lock down the platform for our kids and now they have these unacceptable options that can't be removed. 

Joeaug
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

To be clear, this is not a developer decision. I’m sure this was a conscious and necessary business decision for Roku. Like all streaming services, they are struggling for revenue sources, and it does take some money to keep the platform up-to-date. While I understand it, I do not approve of the tactics. There are better ways for them to monetize that could be more inclusive of their user base’s desires. I’m sure that these newest items that have just popped up have already been paid for by advertisers and therefore they are not going anywhere anytime soon I would guess. In addition, from other things, I have read in business articles, I’m not sure that this has been rolled out to everyone or even will be. I’m also not sure if these additions are supported by their older hardware because they have not appeared on any of my older hardware yet. The Google and Amazon platforms would face similar revenue challenges but at least their businesses are much more diversified, and not solely dependent on their streaming device business as is Roku. I would’ve hoped that selling things like our viewing habits to advertisers would have provided sufficient revenue to keep Roku healthy, but the demands of Wall Street are always relentless.

Joeaug
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Apple, as probably the world’s most profitable company, can afford to run their TV device business at cost forever. Since it is now tied in with apple’s home automation service, Apple has even more incentive to maintain a top level user experience, and Apple is always willing to play the long game. That’s why I believe it is the only streaming device left that can potentially remain advertising free in the interface and you know the company is going to be around for a long long time.

Jl14

Jump to solution

Please remove categories and browse! It’s eating my space!

Jl14

Jump to solution

I would want it to be removed because it is eating my storage space!

0 Kudos
AZSnakePit

Jump to solution

Another voice adding to the chorus asking to remove thus unwanted nonsense from my home page.