Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Remove "Categories" and "Browse" from Home Screen

Jump to solution

No sh*t!  They're acting like Google too.  They keep adding **bleep** that customers DO NOT WANT NOR WILL EVER USE!!  To Anthony Wood and the other Roku dictators:  STOP TRYING TO DICTATE / STALK CUSTOMER VIEWING BASED ON YOUR ADVERTISERS' / SHAREHOLDERS' POCKETS.  

RyanRC
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hey Roku

Next time you have the small group of people in your R&D department decide they want to make a change like this and with no ability to turn it off, please give me a call first and let “ME” decide how I want to force them to use their Rokus and see if they are fine with how I want them to use them.

Oh and while we are at it, I will also get to decide what kind and color of car they drive, the music they listen to, the food they eat, where they live, what color their house is, who they get married to and all other things like this.

Before that though get to work first ASAP on fixing this as that is something else I have decide you have to do and while I am very sorry, no you do not have the choice to turn off my decision.

Jmientus
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Roku, stop forcing **bleep** onto our home page. At minimum we should be able to hide it. 

rawlsrules
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I am not knowledgeable tech-wise, but I am beginning to think that casting from a computer — or phone, or whatever? — to a TV screen is all that's left. Which is going to be less convenient in some ways, but at least its our own choices and fewer advertisements and, I hope, will not include having my activities harvested and sold elsewhere.

At this point, I am watching this forum to find a new way because I do not think that Roku has any intention of satisfying its users.

willir64
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@Jibz 

Are you serious? Well think about it most of the customer want a simple and clutter free home screen. On the home page they had added a sports, what to watch, Live tv, featured free, deals etc. with the options to turn them off if it wasn't desired. Well at first not a lot of people did and they made money on ever click on those item. Well as time passed more and more people did it. Now they are not making as much money. Now what they did was just wrap those things we turned off into a new package and took away the ability to hide it. I am not a big sports fan so I turn off that item because it is no interest to me. Now with this change they are trying to force me to deal with it. Just like what to watch with TV's shows and movies. If I didn't want them before why is it right that they put them into a new wrapping and force it down my throat now? Just like the idea of ad free programming is going away.

willir64
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@Jibz 

Here is what Roku will say. The changes are embedded into the OS and it cannot be changed easily. Please allow us to apologizes for any inconvenience. Please be bare with us we are working on it.

As a former computer programmer I know programmers and incredible lazy and the same code that turns the other item is probably the same for theses and can probably be done in a days time. But it's going to take them 3 months to do it. Why 3 mouths? Because they hope that we will give up complaining about it and they won't have to make the change. Thus making them millions and we get screwed. They have already been selling our data to other companies why not force feed us what we don't want too?

Also think about this one as well. This change occurred a few days ago. Well look at the software update on your devices. If this was a software update then why don't the dates match? My devices says last checked 12/3/23 @ 10:08 am but the last update was 11/1/23 @ 8:12 am. So, if it embedded into the OS then why isn't it showing as an update? They are lying about it to make money.

NOYB999

Jump to solution

If I want categories and browse, I’ll add them. This just clutters up my screen. Stop adding **bleep**.

NOYB999

Jump to solution

This is just frigging annoying.

EBinTX

Jump to solution

Congratulations. I’ve been a Roku customer since the box was metal and the only channel was Netflix. I’ve purchased at least 10 RokuTV’s. I’ve lost count of the Roku boxes and sticks I’ve bought and given to friends and family. Today I bought an AppleTV box, and the next TV I buy will NOT be a RokuTV. Brilliant marketing. 

Brenn
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

This seems like "Know your customer base" is an important issue.  For each one of us that complains about these two new categories appearing on our devices, there are hundreds or thousands who have the same sentiment.  I have personally been a ROKU user since the original ROKU.  I have been a fan because of the absolute control I have had over the content I choose to have on our devices.

Maybe the idea of having autonomous control over the content on our devices is "Fratty and out of touch" if you get my meaning.