Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rawlsrules
Roku Guru

Re: Remove "Categories" and "Browse" from Home Screen

Jump to solution

Dismissing those of us who have for years objected to Roku's insistence on embracing their advertising as knuckle draggers is somehow enlightened?

I don't know anything about Bud Light and the whole "woke" business has always struck me as meaningless.

JoLiKMC
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Alright, you lot.  Calm down.

It's annoying, yes.  A majority of people probably didn't ask for this.  But… are you seriously going to throw away your television set and stop using Roku's streaming services all because they made a decision you don't agree with?  Seriously?  That just seems wasteful.

Looking at it pragmatically, this has no real impact on the customer base other than being a small irritation.  It's not costing anyone anything more than a small amount of time, if only to gawk at it and go "What a **bleep** idea!", and they're not forcing anyone to use it.  I mean, it would be one thing if they pulled a YouTube and started jamming unskippable advertisements in there.  These are just "convenience options", though; harmless and potentially helpful to some users.  Nothing more.

That said, I still stand by my previous statements of "please remove this silliness from my Home Screen".  Or at the very least, give us the option to turn them off.  For someone like me, it still seems very unnecessary and no more convenient than the usual "Find Channels" option Settings or the "Live TV" "channel".  Plus, I like to keep my Home Screen tidy with around six options since that's about all the inputs and subscriptions I currently have.  Seeing this addition of six more options that I really didn't want or need was definitely shocking and is somewhat annoying.  I'm not going to throw away my TV set, though; I'm going to keep watching stuff on Roku TV and keep using my TV until it breaks.  I just really wish there was an option to disable that extra stuff.

Once again, thank you.

I'm not that hard to find… if you know where to look.
-=( https://jolikmc.tumblr.com/ )=-
0 Kudos
JCGoodwin
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@JoLiKMC, I agree with most of what you said, but I can't say with certainly that I'm going to stick with Roku indefinitely now, because Roku's insistence that these items stay on the Home screen is concerning.

This could be the start of Roku becoming more and more like less popular platforms (Fire) that include intrusive promotions. They already had stuff popping up on the bottom left, and now they've added this.

If they dare to start putting items between the app rows, I'm done, and I won't be alone.

rawlsrules
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Well, good for you.

0 Kudos
willir64
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I've been following the comments and one caught my eye because it said it was "a small irritation". Well I am sorry it's not "a small irritation" when they keep doing it. I have seen this multiple times and the comments have always been the same. Don't like it allow us to turn it off. It's "a small irritation" if your neighbor barrows a tool without asking you. It's not small when it happen multiple time now is it?

The smaller icons to allow less scrolling then you add this to add more scrolling? HUH?? The smaller icon was a problem for me who has vision problems and had a harder time seeing them. Plus, not to mention that I memorize the number of presses to navigate the screens and now this screws that up. It just another corporate money grab and we are ask just to take it. How many times do you get screwed over before you final get mad?

Were MAD!!! Also, please note that 15 pages of users complaining and zero Roku response.

JoLiKMC
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@willir64
You know, you're right.  For people who have rows and rows of inputs, streaming services, and the like, this isn't just "a small irritation".  Even with just five rows with 15 icons, that's already a lot of navigation.  But now, with the addition of two more rows that can't be removed, that's an extra few seconds people have to wait before they can wrap around to the top of their icons.  This irritation applies to people who barely have any icons, too, as this can quickly lead to frustration when your muscle memory says "two down, one over" and you somehow end up on the Roku TV app, staring at holiday movies.

Still… I'm not sure something like this should be a make-or-break kind of thing for customers.  It seems like a pretty petty thing to ditch an entire company over.

But then, I stopped watching Tubi because they put a "this was a product of its time" warning on The Flintstones, so…

I'm not that hard to find… if you know where to look.
-=( https://jolikmc.tumblr.com/ )=-
0 Kudos
Shylock
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

We are seeing it exactly where your company put it…

rawlsrules
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

If it were an isolated imposition, I would agree. It is not.

0 Kudos
rawlsrules
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Another "small irritation": whatever the issue, if one actually reaches a Roku support person, the first question always is asking where something appears. What? Do they think we place something somewhere on our home page out of the blue and then bring it to Roku's attention?

0 Kudos
Trasd
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Here I was thinking Roku cared about its customers and listened to our input!  How can I be so stupid and naive?  I keep thinking the best of businesses and people.  Shame on me.

No sooner than "Recommendations..." is taken off, "Categories" and "Browse" show up on my (MY) homescreen.

Roku, let me put it so a kindergartener can understand: Leave my homescreen alone!  You're not helping, you're just pissing people off.  Get a clue and listen to your users before we all become x-users.

If you're dealing with "Recommendations..." on your homescreen, go here to put in your 2¢: https://community.roku.com/t5/Features-settings-updates/REMOVE-recommended-for-you-on-roku-home-scre...