Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stream-gmz
Binge Watcher

ROKU OS 13- crash + forced reset, due to forced download of screensaver

TCL 43S425 series Roku TV (2019)

2nd time this has happened.

7-29-2024, ROKU auto-downloaded a "4k Screensaver" when i ran a system update check. No system update, but it DID automatically download another new screensaver without asking my permission.  

...and then my ROKU TCL TV factory reset itself.

AGAIN !!!

This EXACT SAME THING happened last month, when that "spongebob squarepants" screensaver automatically downloaded itself.

This never happened before over 4 yrs of use, until Roku OS VERSION 13 was installed.

Ive reported BOTH of these events to ROKU, now.

Dear ROKU:   PLEASE STOP FORCING Automatic SCREENSAVER DOWNLOADS !!

(they cause my TCL TV to factory reset itself)

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: ROKU OS 13- crash + forced reset, due to forced download of screensaver

@stream-gmz 

Disabling both "Seasonal Wallpapers" and "Sponsored Wallpapers" under Settings/Theme will prevent your wallpaper from being changed. (unless your preferred wallpaper is later removed or becomes unavailable as they sometimes do).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

stream-gmz
Binge Watcher

thanks for the reply, but no that doesnt help.

i already have had both of these settings disabled (which is why im reporting it here).

the forced auto-download wallpaper happens anyway, even with Seasonal and Sponsored turned to OFF.

The "SpongeBob" wallpaper last month, was the most recent one that self-installed itself, even when those settings were both off.

Check yours and see if spongebob is there?

PS:  it also would NOT delete, when i asked it to.  It would say "removed", but would still be there.  Same thing happened with the other sponsored wallpaper before spongebob, from earlier this year.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@stream-gmz 

The Spongebob wallpaper was removed a few weeks back. (other users had inquired where it went to so quickly).

I remember when it was being advertised on the Roku Home Screen but I normally have both the Seasonal and Sponsored disabled/off unless troubleshooting something.

---

Perhaps try using one of the Roku default wallpapers.  If you have the above settings disabled/off, then the only time Roku should change your wallpaper is if your preferred wallpaper is removed from the platform for your device. (on occasion, some of my wallpapers will be a black screen because a wallpaper is no longer available for a particular device).

It is possible though that you may just be experiencing a little bug with the OS13 and your RokuTV. (might not be anything Roku is actually doing, but some incompatibility between your preferred wallpaper and the OS).  I would try using a different wallpaper (and perhaps revert back to default "theme") for a bit and see if that makes any difference.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

stream-gmz
Binge Watcher

yeah.

well 13.1 just dropped for me today, so hopefully its ironed-out.

i wouldn't mind so much having it sitting there, unused; except that it borks my TCL into a factory-reset when it happens.  I wonder now if its somehow connected to the screensaver animations setting, which i always have turned off.  Maybe those sponsored ones are animated, and my TV doesn't know what to do when they try to self-install.

anyway, thanks for trying to help!

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.