Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smittay

Re: Parent Controls for Home Screen Ads

Jump to solution

I have a 9 year old and 6 year old twins. They asked “what is that Ad that says SEX WITH COLLEGE GIRLS” !!!!??????? 

Seriously Roku??????? You know we watch all kids shows and you display that????? I’m contacting my Congressman and the Mass AG. 

ComputerGuy7
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

good idea. we should continue to push for action.

blocking Roku's filthy ads at my router has worked well so far. I am doing it at two houses.

Mpconne

Jump to solution

What are some good alternatives to Roku? I have liked using them in the past but ads for high school girls sex is not appropriate for children and since Roku values ad revenue over customer satisfaction I guess I'll be looking elsewhere.

matimat2010
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This still hasn't been fixed, anyone have experience with alternatives? Does Amazon Firestick have the same problem, Apple Tv, Chromecast?

If it doesn't get fixed we need to leave, money is the only thing they care about, not us. 

ComputerGuy7
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Amazon has the same issues. Instead of side ads on homescreen its banner ads on homescreen and previews for adult focused shows.

Sadly, Filth and the loss of innocence is becoming the norm.

Blocking ads appears to be the only solution because the companies make more money ignoring us and putting out garbage. 

ComputerGuy7
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

There are alternatives, but I have not tried any except the Amazon fire stick which has the same problems. 

side note: I always turn off auto play on all my devices, if possible. apps seem to be adding that which creates more of the same problems. if you accidentally pause your selection box over a movie it will play a few seconds of the movie which may not be family friendly. If this is happening inside the app, and the app does not let you disable this, then no matter which player you select you will have to be careful.

internet search for roku alternatives
https://rigorousthemes.com/blog/best-roku-alternatives/

The onn media streamer looks interesting, but I cannot say if the home screen has the same problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvnNR5-YzBM

a small windows or android computer with Kodi is always an option too.

https://kodi.tv/download/

disporshe_
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I switched to Google ChromeCast. It has a much safer UI for younger audiences. You setup google profile(s) for your kid(s), you can set a pin that is required to exit the kids profile. You can select which Apps they can use, you can block them from being able to add apps, you can set the home screen to Apps Only mode. Apps only mode does not have advertisements or banners in kids accounts. In the main account Apps Only still shows advertisements in the banner, but I have not seen anything too risque. I am very thankful for Google actually listening to concerned parents.

scott_2
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you so much for your giving us a heads up on the chromecast! Based on your recommendation, my family will be switching to that. Thank you! 

Crispicritter
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I agree. Many of the ads are highly inappropriate for children. I hate that about Roku. Striptease? That's no where near child appropriate and so easy for a child to click on. At least make the home screen family friendly or give us the option!

Zeb

Jump to solution

I can't believe there is no solution to this. I do t want to see ads for "Sex Lives of College Girls", let alone have my young kids see it. Despicable.