Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stjrams1
Reel Rookie

OS 12.0.0 Update will not update on two devices

Jump to solution

My Roku Ultra (4800X) and Roku Express 4K+ (3941X) will not update to OS 12.0.0 or newer but my TV and Sound bar Pro have. Is anyone having the same issue with those two devices? Contacted support and are supposed to supported with the new OS?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: OS 12.0.0 Update will not update on two devices

Jump to solution

@stjrams1-

Basically, each unit will get it when it gets it.

Roku is gradually rolling out an update of its operating software from version 11.5 to 12.0, individual Roku installation by individual Roku installation, with an update schedule known only to Roku.  If you have multiple Rokus, they may not become eligible for the update at the same time, even if they are the same Roku model. 

I haven't seen it on any of mine yet.

Added 4 days later:

I received version 12 on my Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 one or two days later.   Today I fired up a Streaming Stick 3600 that I set aside for traveling just to check this out and it immediately updated to version 12. 

I still have not received the update on my Streaming Stick 3820 nor my Roku TV.

The moral of the story is just be patient.  It will get to each of your devices eventually.

And as a bonus, the longer it takes, the more bugs will have been fixed before it arrives on your doorstep.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@stjrams1-

Basically, each unit will get it when it gets it.

Roku is gradually rolling out an update of its operating software from version 11.5 to 12.0, individual Roku installation by individual Roku installation, with an update schedule known only to Roku.  If you have multiple Rokus, they may not become eligible for the update at the same time, even if they are the same Roku model. 

I haven't seen it on any of mine yet.

Added 4 days later:

I received version 12 on my Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 one or two days later.   Today I fired up a Streaming Stick 3600 that I set aside for traveling just to check this out and it immediately updated to version 12. 

I still have not received the update on my Streaming Stick 3820 nor my Roku TV.

The moral of the story is just be patient.  It will get to each of your devices eventually.

And as a bonus, the longer it takes, the more bugs will have been fixed before it arrives on your doorstep.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

0 Kudos
jvalatka
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I'm also seeing what appears to be the actual problem here, though I have the 3900X model with software v11.5.0 build 6040-51. When I check for updates, I get offered the v12.0.0.4178 upgrade, so I choose "Update now". Progress can count all the way up to 100% before it ultimately fails with no reason given other than a suggestion to "try again later". Nothing is mentioned about waiting my turn.

0 Kudos
jvalatka
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Update!  After the initial update try, a reboot, and a couple more retries, the update process finally went into an "installing final updates" phase and finished its reboot.  I now have version 12.  I guess the moral of the story is, if you have the right model and a boatload of time and the update is offered to you, just keep trying and eventually it will fall into place.

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Greeting @jvalatka

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku Community. 

We're glad to hear that you were able to download and get an update on your Roku device to Roku OS 12. To learn more about the highlights included and improvements in the new Roku OS, visit our support page: Roku OS software release notes

Don't hesitate to contact us if you need further assistance in the future.

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
stjrams1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

All of my devices are up to-date now. 

0 Kudos
twlman

Jump to solution

I have the same model and software build 11.5, however when I check for an update it responds with all software is up to date.

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@twlman-

Please read this earlier post in this thread: https://community.roku.com/t5/Features-settings-updates/OS-12-0-0-Update-will-not-update-on-two-devi...

0 Kudos