Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Delite
Binge Watcher

Re: My captioning keeps turning OFF

Jump to solution

Still not fixed on HBO Max.

Closed captioning resets to "none" whenever the programming moves to another show. 

Most annoyingly it resets even when letting HBO Max "countdown" to the next episode in a watching session. I do not see this issue on any other app -- including HULU, Amazon, Paramount, and Netflix. Along with two different Roku devices and TVs. HBO Max app is most current version. While I cannot say for sure this is a Roku issue, it is definitely an "app in Roku" issue!

Trimhorn
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Odd.   Captioning is staying ON with HBO, Netflix, and Prime Video with my ROKU Ultra 2019 model. 

0 Kudos
crooner7
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I use voice activation to simply say :turn on closed captions.  Minor annoyance, but works.  

0 Kudos
Langster
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Roku tv:7109x. 
software 10.5 build 4210-30

Hboax, hulu, netflix, paramount, amazon prime. CC always on selected in main settings but have to turn it on with in each app for every episode

Cohenhs
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Same here. Please undo what you did to cause this. Even starting the next episode in a series turn CC back off.

rmpepper

Jump to solution

My captioning also keeps turning off.  I can turn it on but HBOMax consistently turns it off.  that doesn't happen with Netflix of other channels.  HBOMax seems to be the problem....and turns it off for all other channels as well.

Trimhorn
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Mine is working OK on HBO Netflix and the rest. Make sure you have the latest ROKU software.

Look under settings.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the post.

When used closed caption, please make sure that not only are the Roku settings turned on for closed captions, but the channel settings as well.

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
rawdmon
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I definitely have them turned on in the roku settings and in the individual app settings.  It's definitely the HBO Max app that keeps toggling them off after the end of each episode.  And it's toggling if off globally so that if I switch to a different app I then need to turn them back on in that app again.  Super annoying and only started happening like a month or two ago.  Clearly there's something wrong with the HBO Max app code.  Perhaps you could pass this information along to their development team so that they can fix this?  I also maintain that having the option to lock this on for all apps in the roku settings and prevent apps from messing with the setting would be very nice.  People who need closed captioning can't be bothered to have to continuously re-enable it like this, it's a horrible user experience.

crooner7
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

💯 agree.  Extremely annoying.