Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ag87b
Channel Surfer

Max supported USB drive version/size for Ultra 2018

Hi,

What is the max supported USB version and size for a USB/flash/thumb drive for the Roku Ultra 2018?

I haven't actually used the USB port on the Roku yet, but planning to buy a new USB flash drive and put all my mp3's on it. I've already got a setup like that on an offline device called an "nbox" with a 32gb flash drive, but I now have a lot more than 32gb of mp3's and I think 32gb may be the max on that device. Therefore, I'm planning to move over to using the Roku with a larger flash drive.

However, to do so I need to know the max USB version and size so I can buy a compatible flash drive. Brand recommendations would also be helpful (if allowed here), but the main thing I'm after is the max USB version and size for the 2018 Ultra.

Again, it is important to note what I have is the 2018, not the latest version, so the info needs to be specifically for that model. I've had some trouble finding the answer due to this; sorry if this is already answered somewhere, but I couldn't find an exiting answer anywhere. Also apologies if I've made any other mistakes posting this (wrong subforum, etc.) - I don't post a lot, so I hope I've done so correctly.

And two side-issues:
- Is there a pdf of a full manual somewhere with specs of this sort?
- Would it be better if I used an SD card? (if so, same questions about version/size)

Any help would be appreciated - thanks

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
ag87b
Channel Surfer

Re: Max supported USB drive version/size for Ultra 2018

Hi,

After it appeared no one that read my original post knew the answer to this (given the lack of replies), I eventually tried the customer support chat and they indicated "any brand with [USB] version 3.0 and memory 64GB or less", but the chat mechanism was lagging very badly and they had some initial difficulty understanding my question, so I hope that my question was clear enough by the time they provided this answer (meaning, I hope they properly understood what I was asking).  It did surprise me somewhat that 128 is not supported on such a new device (checking, I see a 128 drive that was apparently available in 2014).

Therefore, my follow-up question is this: Just to make sure, does their answer sound correct?  What is the answer for the latest model?  In other words, does the latest Ultra support something larger than 64 GB and USB versions later than 3.0?

In any case, I hope my response here at least helps others who may have the same question by providing the answer I received from customer support.

Thank you

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I wish I could give you a definitive answer, but I can tell you chat was flat out wrong.  I doubt anything beyond USB3 is supported.  You're probably safe with a drive up to 2TB, but power may become an issue if you're trying to power the drive from the USB port.  I have an 8TB drive with its own power supply I may try and I have a few 1TB drives I can try.  When it comes to Roku, simplest is best.  If you're trying some newfangled state of the art thing it's probably not going to work.

I'll post back once I try the drives I have on hand.

Edit:  well unfortunately two of the three drives I have lying around are formatted with ext4 which Roku devices don't support.  The one 1TB drive I have that's formatted with NTFS worked without problem, so the maximum size is at least 1TB.  Smiley Happy  I've seen several people post about using hard drives connected to Roku devices, so I'm surprised no one else has chimed in.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
ag87b
Channel Surfer

Hi,

Thank you for your reply and for testing that, I really appreciate it.

I like the idea of using a powered external hard drive and may go that route since your test showed that at least 1TB would work, which is a lot of space and would be great. I've never tried hooking an external hard drive to a TV-based device (meaning, a blu ray player with USB support, my nbox, nor obviously a Roku) so I hadn't really considered that option and was originally just considering what I HAVE used before, a flash/thumb drive. I'm not sure if the Roku's size support differs between a flash/thumb drive and an external hard drive or not. But if it does differ and if the support for a flash/thumb drive is so limited on max size, then the powered external hard drive with the far greater max size would probably make the most sense in any case and would be the better option.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I have to be honest, I never thought about the difference between a flash drive and a hard drive, but I don't think it matters.  The largest flash drive I have is 64GB and it works.  The 1TB drive I tried does not have an external supply.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos