Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
manjeet
Channel Surfer

Is there any way to get Roku device's current location?

Hi All,

I am trying to get roku device's current location(state, city and zipcode).

Is there any way to get current location without using any third party service?

Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7
Z06
Roku Guru

Re: Is there any way to get Roku device's current location?

Can you provide more information please. Like you want to track a particular Roku?

0 Kudos
manjeet
Channel Surfer

I would like to display all items on the basis of where device is located currently. such as apps will show different items in xyz city as compared to other city.

The main purpose is to display app's items on the basis of current Roku device location.

User can move the device any where and when he starts the app, it will get the items as per his current geo location.

0 Kudos
Z06
Roku Guru

Ok so let’s simplify this. Roku does not use apps. They use channels. Local channels are usually decided by your IP address or your zip code. Such as when you sign up for YouTube TV you put in your zip code and it knows what locals to provide for you. DirecTV Stream uses your IP address. So exactly what channels are you using? Hulu, Prime, Netflix, Disney+, Paramount+, Peacock and others don’t rely on your location to provide content. Although there are certain channels that only work in certain countries. It’s really not clear what you’re trying to look for. Sounds to me like you’re trying to track a Roku that’s not in your home 

0 Kudos
manjeet
Channel Surfer

I have to develop an application(channel) so I just want to know whether I can get the device geo location from roku device not from the any other application.

0 Kudos
Z06
Roku Guru

A Roku device location is based upon your IP address. Just like a computer or phone. If you are a developer go here 

https://developer.roku.com/overview

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

As mentioned, the Roku itself it not aware of it's location. At best there might be an app/channel that uses a zip code, but that info would not be available to a different program.

Using IP addresses can be problematic, as sometimes the ISP might actually have an Internet gateway that is far away from the actual location. I can give an example of my work network. The entire network accesses the Internet from a single point in Oklahoma City. So any ad or other function that tries to determine my location all think I'm in OKC, even though I'm actually near Seattle. I see lots of ads when web browsing for locations in OKC. 🙂

If you want your channel to know (accurately) where it is, you would need to add the ability for the user to enter a zip code, or some other way to identify the location. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Z06
Roku Guru

@manjeet  In addition to what atc mentioned no Roku device or TV has location services built in. Unlike your phone a Roku has no idea where it’s located. It actually does not care where it’s located. Only specific channels such as live TV streaming services actually need your exact location in order to provide you with the proper local channels. A smart phone has GPS capability so it knows where it is and where you are. A Roku does not have built-in GPS nor anyway of knowing where it’s located. 

0 Kudos