Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
khantrol
Reel Rookie

Is there a way to opt in to be a tester, so I can get the 4 columns back?

I want the 4 columns and would take 5, if they had it. The 1980s album cover sized icons are wack. But, I'm trying to stick with Roku, as a long time customer, rather than running to Amazon Fire TV (which looks way cooler and has a sweeter remote, in my opinion).

Does anybody know if you can go into one of the developer menus to opt in or make this change? Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Re: Is there a way to opt in to be a tester, so I can get the 4 columns back?

You are definitely right about Amazon Fire TV devices having a much better remote design than anything the Roku has.

My Fire TV remotes have never had any pairing problems like I have had with Roku.

Amazon Fire TV remotes have no excessive battery drain or low battery warnings popping up spamming your screen like Roku does. In fact I've been using the same batteries that came with my remote in my Fire TV Cube for 15 months and they still work perfectly, they'll never last that long with Roku voice remotes.

Amazon Fire TV remotes have the mute and volume buttons located on top of the remotes where they belong, instead of being located on the right side of the remote where Roku has them, so you don't accidentally press those volume control buttons when picking up the remote by the sides like what happens with Roku remotes all the time.

Roku could learn a lot by studying the Amazon Fire TV remotes because the current Roku remote designs are a total joke! The volume and mute button placements were designed by someone who has absolutely zero common sense and that person should be fired, the person higher up who approved that design should be fired twice!

It absolutely blows my mind that anyone ever thought for a second that putting those buttons on the side of the remote was a good idea, especially when there is plenty of room on top of the remote for them to exist.

0 Kudos
khantrol
Reel Rookie

Yeah, I just checked out the customizations available with the Fire Stick and it's off the charts. I'm just looking for Roku to do 1/10 of that on some of the basic stuff, like the columns, custom screensavers with MY pics, etc. These are things that should have been available several years ago.

And, the things you say about the buttons on the side of the remote are spot on. It must have been done by one of the executives who pulled rank, even though the folks who pull actual gears and press buttons were screaming how asinine it was.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to settings/home screen/tile size. Select wack or off the charts.

0 Kudos
khantrol
Reel Rookie

Unfortunately, none of the Roku settings will let me select the Off the Charts settings. It seems all of the Roku settings default to wack. Also, the Roku-Employee-Masquerading-As-User and Incel Filters I setup for replies seems to not be working.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.