Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Csalzman
Reel Rookie

Inappropriate ads on homescreen

Jump to solution

Yesterday an auto playing video ad for a movie with ten people with guns started playing while my four year old was trying to find a show to watch. This is in no way acceptable. I don’t mind ads, but I need them to be family friendly. Is there a way to actually limit ads, or to tell Roku that this device is primarily used by children?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Csalzman
Reel Rookie

Re: Inappropriate sds on homescreen

Jump to solution

Thanks, because hiding after the fact is the only solution I am ditching Roku and have bought an Apple TV instead. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Csalzman 

I haven't received any of the video ads in the Marquee ad space (normally static ads), so not sure if it works similarly, but try pressing the asterick (*) button on your remote when the video ad plays and select "Hide this ad".

Really no way to pre-emptively prevent certain ads, so just have to actively "hide" them as you go along. (that is, if the above method works).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Csalzman,

A warm welcome to the Roku Community!

We understand your concern about the ads you see on the Roku device and are sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you.

Please be aware that while we can't please everyone with the displayed ads, we do strive to avoid offensive images and other things that Roku users might disagree with.

Your Roku device's home page ads are usually targeted based on your viewing history and preferences. However, the ads may sometimes be inappropriate or too scary for children.

Your preferences are important. For more detailed information on the steps provided by @AvsGunnar, visit our Support article to learn more about hiding an ad.

Remember that this will only apply to the ad on the home screen. Some third-party channels may also have advertisements that are not appropriate for children. In these cases, you may want to restrict access to those channels or monitor your child's viewing closely.

Don't hesitate to let us know if you have any questions or additional feedback.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Csalzman
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks, because hiding after the fact is the only solution I am ditching Roku and have bought an Apple TV instead. 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.