Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Goodrant

If I Factory Reset and log back in, will my stuff be there?

I may have to do a factory reset on Roku Express and if I do, can I log back in? If I do, will it return everything?

0 Kudos
16 REPLIES 16
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: If I Factory Reset and log back in, will my stuff be there?

@Goodrant 

Yes, but...

Not everything will be restored as it was. Probably.

You don't lose your apps. Any you had will be reinstalled. The order won't necessarily (and probably won't be) the same. You'll likely have to log in to them again, unless they use Single Sign On (SSO), which some do and some don't. If you have a subscription through Roku Pay, it should be there, and you won't have to log in. If you subscribe directly to the service, you'll probably have to authenticate again.

But your question brings up a question. Why?

A factory reset isn't something you just do. If you're just wanting to see what happens, knock yourself out. Go through initial setup again. The only real difference is the apps you previously installed will already be selected (and unselecting them doesn't mean anything). But if you are having an issue, sometimes there are easier solutions than a factory reset.

If you are having an issue, a factory reset is the last resort. If you have an issue with your Roku device, let us know what's going wrong and we'll try to offer advice. It may be that a factory reset is the answer, but most often, it's not. Or at least, not the first answer.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
tomrom

I have a 24 inch Insignia Roku tv, 5 years old, on my desk.  It is slow to react, slow to load, just slow.  I have eliminated unused channels, replaced batteries in the remote, regularly check for Roku and channel updates, I have 5k wifi and have done the wifi reset several times ... nothing helps.  If I add a new roku 4k express via HDMI and use it as the operating system ... will that help?

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@tomrom wrote:

I have a 24 inch Insignia Roku tv, 5 years old, on my desk.  It is slow to react, slow to load, just slow.  I have eliminated unused channels, replaced batteries in the remote, regularly check for Roku and channel updates, I have 5k wifi and have done the wifi reset several times ... nothing helps.  If I add a new roku 4k express via HDMI and use it as the operating system ... will that help?

That would certainly make a difference. If the old Roku TV is acting sluggish, and a full factory reset doesn't resolve it -- and I'm doubtful it will, based on my limited experience with Roku TV devices -- adding a separate Roku device will certainly give you better performance.

I had access to an older Roku TV once, and was frustrated with how poor the response was. I put a stick on it and just used that. You're suggestion is in line with what I did, and I expect you'd be happy with the results. You'd simply treat the Roku TV as a plain old dumb TV, using one of the HDMI ports to access the Roku device you're attaching.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos

my Roku TV is glitching what can I

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @scottyj7463

Welcome to the Roku Community!

There could be several reasons why your Roku TV is glitching. Here are a few possible explanations:

• Internet Connection: Your TV may be glitching due to a poor internet connection. This can result in buffering or freezing of streaming content, as well as other glitches. Try resetting your modem and router, and ensure your TV is connected to a stable Wi-Fi network.
  • Software Issues: The software on your Roku TV may be outdated or may have bugs. Try updating the software on your TV to the latest version. You can do this by going to Settings > System > System update on your Roku TV.

We hope it helps!

Warm regards!
Lianna

0 Kudos
Rapbaykerry
Channel Surfer

Any answer to this? If I do a factory reset how do I relink the device? How do I get my acct back on the tv to see my apps etc?

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Rapbaykerry 

If you factory reset the Roku device, just make sure to use the exact same email address you did initially and all your channels/apps will still be there.  (all channels/apps/subscriptions are linked to the Roku account, not the Roku device.  As long as you use the original Roku account/original email address, everything stays intact).

You will likely need to sign back in to any subscriptions you have, but they should all show back up on your Home Screen.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Rapbaykerry
Channel Surfer

Thanks. So I just do a factory reset and then when it turns back on I will be promoted to login?

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Rapbaykerry 

After you perform the factory reset, you should be met with the setup/activation screen where you choose a language and then proceed through the activation stage. (just like a brand new device).

During the activation stage, all your channels/apps will be downloaded to your device (again, use your original email address).  After that, you will be on your Home Screen.  You then select your channel/app (ie. a subscription channel) and will likely be prompted for that channel/app credentials. (the email and password you used when you set up that particular subscription).

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.