Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Btdemp
Reel Rookie

How to remove ads from Roku Home Screen

I bought the equipment. (I OWN IT).

I also have to pay for the internet to use it, and all the premium streaming services,(netflix,prime,paramount,peacock,etc...)

So why do you(roku) think you have the right to keep pushing ads at me?? I will dispose of every roku device (all 7 ) and switch to another streaming device. 

I have ALL my premium services through you.  Still you want more . F%&! @Ff.

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How to remove ads from Roku Home Screen

@Btdemp 

There are at most 2 ads on the Roku Home Screen.

One is the large banner ad on the right side and the other one is on the lower left (which comes and goes).

I see more ads on buses and billboards and benches on my way into work than I do on my Roku Home Screen.

A couple of ads helps keep all this stuff free on the Roku device and the prices of the equipment down.

Now, the amount of ads some of these free channels/apps show during the viewing of the content is a different story.  Sometimes it seems there are more ad minutes than movie/show minutes.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Btdemp
Reel Rookie

Keeps price free?

As I said I BOUGHT the roku device.

Not free.

I suscribed to several services through Roku. Paramount, Peacock, showtime, iheart radio. To mention a few. NOT FREE.

I pay for internet to use it.

NOT FREE.

AS A SIDE NOTE...7 minutes of tv 3 minutes of ads, hardly make the roku channel even usable. And every ad infested channel you offer is available with less ads on pluto or several other FREE tv apps. 

Stop acting like what you have is special. Even Google tv has less ads. And they own double click .  Wise up..

Vme
Channel Surfer

When Roku first came out I started using them as opposed to Chromecast and so loved their products, I told everyone I knew about it. Unfortunately, this is no longer the case. I will start looking for other streaming options. I don't mind one side a, but these constant ads on the bottom as well, are unacceptable. Roku's greed is going to cost them their customers. I was going to buy a couple of Roku TVs but because of this, I will never do so. Unfortunately, I just bought a 4K with Dolby Vision for my parents and while it works incredibly well, it's not worth it. The fact that I cannot control what I am seeing on my home screen is very frustrating. Also, my constantly having to hide featured shows, rows or other junk on "home screen" settings, has pushed me towards growing dislike for Roku devices. It's MY preferred settings not Roku's!  It's enough we already have to put up with useless buttons for channels we don't watch.  Roku get your act together because your greed is going to cost you lifetime customers that you have meticulously built up through the years. At the end of the day you can only push consumers so much for your bottom line. I will never buy a Roku TV and don't think I will buy any more Roku devices in future after having used your devices since they came out. Sadly disappointed. Time to move on. Hopefully Vizio who has a far superior product as TVs go, will improve their very bad apps row for a Roku user home screen experience without all of ads, for more perfect user watching experience. if you feel the same kindly let Roku know.

koolkat13
Channel Surfer

I can feel your outrage and I agree 100%. I had accepted that there’d always be some sort of ad on the right side of Home Screen but early this month ads started appearing on the lower left corner. There used to be a secret screen hack to disable them but people talked about it too openly so Roku shut it down. 
I never listen to the radio or watch live TV because of ads. I intentionally pay for ad-free services and products. 
It’s bad enough that Roku is forcing ads on us that have, as you said, ALREADY PAID for their device. What infuriates me most is people that say things like, “it’s not that bad,” “just live with it.” That’s the attitude that allows companies to keep getting away with more and more. 
I have pretty severe OCD. I have to filter commercials and ads from my life because they are bad for my mental health. 
While I can’t afford to throw out a working device, I most definitely will never purchase another Roku again. 
Someone might come up with a solution some day. Hopefully they won’t post it here because Roku moderates their own forum. I suggest checking in on Reddit. 

GoHawks
Roku Guru

I am moving at the end of this summer and I too have had more than enough of their garbage.

They absolutely REFUSE to listen to us and continue to act against their customers with more and more ads and unwanted and unneeded stuff in the home screen menu that they won't let people get rid of.

The ONLY THING that they care about is money so make them feel the pain with loss of customers.

I am selling my Roku ultra as I reached my breaking point.

GoHawks
Roku Guru

I COMPLETELY agree with koolkat and will not be buying any more Roku products ever. And when I move at the end of this summer I am selling my Roku or will just give it away as they have seriously gone down hill fast from what they used to be.

GoHawks
Roku Guru

I see more ads on buses and billboards and benches on my way into work than I do on my Roku Home Screen.

These billboards and benches are not IN YOUR house and you didn't pay for them however, once I pay for a Roku it is mine.

crafty22072
Reel Rookie

Yes, why buy the box if all you get are ads?!  I am sick and tired of seeing Disney all over the Home Screen.  

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

If you don't want ads, get an Apple TV streaming player. It's the only one that doesn't have ads. Any box running Google TV/Android TV/Fire TV has ads. It's not specific to Roku devices. The entire Fire TV user interface is nothing but an Amazon ad. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.