Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jamesjanson
Reel Rookie

Having issue with getting my SD card working

Jump to solution

Having issues getting sad card working with my POS Roku device.  Agent gave me general advice which was not helpful.  When I asked for specific info he put me on hold then hung up on me.  Terrible company!!!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
F15mann

Re: Having issue with getting my SD card working

Jump to solution

Greetings:

I had the same momentary MicroSD Card prompt when I cold booted the ROKU after installing the card. However, if I follow the literal ROKU directions of just disconnecting the HDMI cable with the ROKU powered up, install the MicroSD Card and reconnect the HDMI cable, the MicroSD Card prompt is waiting on the screen. Apparently, the installation of the MicroSD Card is suppose to be a hot swap with the ROKU powered up. It goes against all my electronics instincts, but it worked. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

We have to ask what "working" means.  Some people have misconceptions about what a microSD card really adds to a Roku device.  So in case you didn't know, It only increases channel/app storage so that they don't have to be continually downloaded.  Pardon me if you already knew that.

The official information is here:

How to increase player memory with a micro SD card | Official Roku Support 

From what I've seen here, most people have the best results by first restarting their Roku device (unplug the power for a few seconds or perform a "System restart" from Settings->System or Settings->System->Power) and then once it completes booting and is displaying the Home Screen, then insert the microSD card.

Another thing to keep in mind when using a microSD card is that they can become corrupted causing problems, so it's a bit of a double-edged sword.  I prefer the minimal amount of time it takes to download an app over potential instability problems.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Jamesjanson
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

All I want is my Roku to load apps faster when I open one of them.  I get a message to install an sd card to speed up load times.  I installed the card but the Roku won’t format the card.  I called support and they told me to format on a computer but they could not tell me the specs for format options.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Try formatting it as FAT32.  It shouldn't really matter since the Roku device will reformat it once you can get it to recognize it.  Make sure you're inserting it fully.  It can be a bit of a pain since you have to use something like your fingernail to push it in beyond the case where it should lock into place when you release the pressure.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Jamesjanson
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I formatted on computer but still having same issue. That is, the Roku pops up a format window but it disappears after half a second. There is not enough time to scroll to format and click ok.

0 Kudos
F15mann

Jump to solution

Greetings:

I had the same momentary MicroSD Card prompt when I cold booted the ROKU after installing the card. However, if I follow the literal ROKU directions of just disconnecting the HDMI cable with the ROKU powered up, install the MicroSD Card and reconnect the HDMI cable, the MicroSD Card prompt is waiting on the screen. Apparently, the installation of the MicroSD Card is suppose to be a hot swap with the ROKU powered up. It goes against all my electronics instincts, but it worked. 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.