Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
welcher
Channel Surfer

Guest Mode sign out results in complete factory reset

I just set up a 2021 model TCL 5-series TV w/ Roku. Was really excited to get guest mode set up since this TV is installed at our beach rental house.

I got it set up last week, and immediately started a new guest "session", indicating that today was when I was leaving. I proceeded to add all my streaming credentials, and everything was working great.

However, today, at noon, the entire TV was reset to factory defaults. Had to provide network info, and re-link the TV to my account. Literally like a brand new TV install.

I thought maybe it was a one time thing, so I got the TV set up from scratch again, enabled guest mode, and started a new guest session. I ended my session early w/ the guest mode menu. As before, the TV completely reset to factory defaults.

This can't be how things are supposed to work, can it?

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Guest Mode sign out results in complete factory reset

I've never had occasion to play around with Guest mode myself, but I've never heard of it causing a Factory reset.  See if this Roku article helps:

https://support.roku.com/article/360015612834

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
BuckeyeDoug
Reel Rookie

Weicher - I’m in the same boat as you. Roku is so close with the guest mode but as it is guest mode is not friendly to vacation property owners 

0 Kudos
welcher
Channel Surfer

It's worse than not friendly! It's downright hostile!

Have you talked to them about this? Or seen any other threads on the subject?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@welcher @BuckeyeDoug

Thanks for the posts.

We would be more than happy to look further into this issue for you. 

Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
welcher
Channel Surfer

I'll do that the next time I'm in front of the TV. Unfortunately, as noted previously, the TV is currently in another part of the state at our beach house.

0 Kudos
welcher
Channel Surfer

Very very pleased to report back that things are working as expected now. Back at our beach house for the first time since spring, and guest mode seems to be working great. When guest mode period ends, a new guest mode session is started. Perfect!

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Thank you for the update, @welcher!

We appreciate your patience in this matter and we're happy to hear that the issue is already resolved.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please let us know.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos