Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
securis

Enable or disable US CCPA privacy choices?

Jump to solution

I just got a Roku Streaming Stick 4k for guests to watch at my place, and I can't figure out whether to select "enabled" or "disabled" in US CCPA privacy settings for the "Do not share or sell my personal information" option if I DON'T want Roku to share or sell. I feel like it's intentionally vague.

The options were grayed out by default—set to "Disabled—which would seem to mean that I am allowing them to use my data. But that was after I went through other options, like limiting its access to use voice recognition, so I can't tell if by limiting those other options, it automatically set to "Disabled".

Of course Roku's help center isn't helpful on this, and surprisingly none of the countless articles about Roku and privacy that I found detail this setting's confusing options.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Enable or disable US CCPA privacy choices?

Jump to solution

@securis 

You will want to Enable (checkmark in the box ☑️) in order to both "limit use of sensitive info" and "not share/sell personal info".

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@securis 

You will want to Enable (checkmark in the box ☑️) in order to both "limit use of sensitive info" and "not share/sell personal info".

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Many privacy options on both devices in in apps are often deliberately misleading and need to be read very carefully. Sometimes ON means DO invade your privacy, other times it means KEEP your privacy. Most of the time, you should change to the opposite of the default settings!

KD7

Jump to solution

Since we have NO consumer protection agency, we are all on the auction block constantly for sale to the highest bidder. That means our valuable bundled personal information. And yes, they make it a long, dizzying, and quite corrupt process for us to protect ourselves. As another poster said, read very carefully because often times YES means NO and vise-verse... but not always🙃

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.