Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Discontinuing Roku Streaming Stick updates???????

Jump to solution

@mec12, all I can say is that I do have at least one of the old models linked to my account and I haven't received the email.  That's just Roku for you.  Rest assured that your 3801 is not included in the models for which support is being discontinued.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Gake
Channel Surfer

Re: Just learned my new roku streaming stick will not provide feature updates

Jump to solution

You sure about that? Because as the email states and others who have repeated it, it will no longer update the channels, meaning it will no longer update and cycle new show lists, movie lists, etc... That's what I'm getting from the email b/c it made a very distinct difference between feature updates and critical updates.

0 Kudos
RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Just learned my new roku streaming stick will not provide feature updates

Jump to solution

@Gake wrote:

You sure about that? Because as the email states and others who have repeated it, it will no longer update the channels, meaning it will no longer update and cycle new show lists, movie lists, etc... That's what I'm getting from the email b/c it made a very distinct difference between feature updates and critical updates.

Your device simply won't get new features if a channel makes changes. New episodes/shows usually don't require a software update. 

Happy Streaming!

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Seriously I’m with you my device isn’t that old and it no longer streams anything after this bull**bleep** email from Roku. I’m done with the company and would not recommend them to anyone.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

My stick is no longer supported after this email and won’t stream anything. This is serious bull**bleep** from Roku won’t buy anything or recommend them again.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Yupp don’t buy another same thing happened to me blow me Roku not getting any more money out of me with you effectively making my stick garbage 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I am with you no more money from me Roku I’ll go to your competition 

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Lots of folks getting upset over an email that may not apply to them.

Here's the deal. Roku is dropping support for the model 3500 Streaming Stick. That device was discontinued in 2016, and has been supported until now (or soon).

Newer sticks are still supported.

Check your device at Settings > System > About.

Look at the model number. Is it 3500? If so, your device is over six years old and support is being dropped.

If your model number on the stick is larger, the device is still supported.

So, why did people who are not impacted get an email? Because Roku screwed up and sent the email to more people than they should have. Somebody made a bad decision. That person should get a "Needs Improvement" on their employee review.

In the meantime, if your device isn't impacted, then your device isn't impacted. Just use your Roku and ignore emails that never should have been sent.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

MikeTheStreamer
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Just received this official email from Roku. It explains the situation better than the first email and includes specifics for the older device that I own.  Sorry about the weird layout. It was a copy/paste.

Thanks, Roku!

Thu 8/25/2022 8:09 PM

A clarification about your Roku ® Streaming Stick® (Model: 3500X)

͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏ ͏
Roku

Important news about your Roku® Streaming Stick® (Model: 3500X)

This update is about your Roku® Streaming Stick® (Model: 3500X). We have included images of the product and instructions to help you better identify your correct device. We apologize for any confusion the previous email may have caused.

Dear Roku Streamer,

Thanks for being such a loyal Roku user! You’ve been streaming with us a long time and we’re glad you’ve been enjoying your Roku player. While your current device will continue to stream and receive critical updates, it was made 8 years ago and therefore its capabilities are limited and can no longer support the most recent features. It will soon stop receiving feature updates.

Roku® Streaming Stick® (Model: 3500X)

This is what your Roku® Streaming Stick® (Model: 3500X) looks like. 

What does this mean?

This device will no longer get new features or streaming channels, updates to existing channels, or other software-related updates. You can keep using your Roku player to stream the channels you currently have. However, you may lose access to some channels over time as those channel partners make updates.

How do I find the model number of my device?

This update is about your Roku® Streaming Stick® (Model: 3500X). To look up the model number for your device check the bottom or all sides of the product. The model number will be the four-digit number followed by an X.

We want you to enjoy the best streaming experience possible. If you haven’t already upgraded to a new device, check out our newest players. Click here

Happy Streaming!™

Roku

georgeg3
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Yes I got the new message too. It included everything the first email should have including a photo of the device being impacted.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.