Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Swami
Channel Surfer

Closed captions covered by notification

A recent Roku update has made it so that when you turn on closed captions using the voice remote, a notification pops up at the bottom of the screen saying "closed captions are on", and this notification stays on the screen for about 5 seconds, covering up your closed captions so that you can't read them. This annoying new feature happens on our Roku TV, as well as all Roku sticks that we own. Is there a way to turn this off? There's no reason to tell you that closed captions are on because you can obviously tell if they're on or not.

Roku Streaming Stick + (3810, 3811 series)  Roku Streaming Stick (3600 series) Roku TV 

Labels (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Closed captions covered by notification

Or just move the notification back where it was, in the upper right corner. The move didn't actually improve anything, just made it more intrusive.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@Swami-

I don't know of a way to prevent it, but a quick press of the back button gets rid of it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Swami
Channel Surfer

Unfortunately that doesn't work when watching Prime Video. Pressing the back button makes the notification disappear but it also closes the video. I see that your solution does work in Hulu though. In our case, most of our subscriptions are provided through Prime. 🙁