Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wsnydes
Reel Rookie

Re: Can't remove show from home screen continue watching

It wasn't baked in until recently.  The option to turn it off seems like a reasonable request, and frankly, one that should have been foreseen.  

This also doesn't address the fact that the designed method of removing programs from the list isn't working.  Is there anything that can at least be done with that?

Paleogirl2003
Streaming Star

@RokuJanadeeK , the documentation you linked to says "continue watching" is part of the "what to watch" section of the home screen. 

If that's the case then it is a bug that it displays when "what to watch" is disabled in the settings menu. Please escalate to the appropriate team. 

edroksense
Roku Guru

@Paleogirl2003 

It says you can not remove default shows watched or unwatched tiles or programs, but if that VOD is added you can remove by removing the channel and reinstall it back.

I am just guessing see home - settings and look for tile arrangement or hide tiles if it has that function.

Kim5784
Channel Surfer

Janadee,

Thank you for monitoring this discussion, but I still think you're missing the point.

Based on the link you provided, the Continue Watching list is part of the What to Watch page - not the main Home Screen. (Read the first sentence. Look at the picture. You can see that it's the What to Watch page, not the main Home Screen.) I have no problem with a Continue Watching list showing up on the What to Watch page - that's exactly where it should be.

I have chosen to HIDE the What to Watch page in the left-side menu on my main Home Screen. Based on what I read from the link you gave, there shouldn't be a Continue Watching list on the Home Screen.

The same thing should apply to the Search Box. It shouldn't be on the Home Screen, it should be on the Search page - which cannot be hidden from the menu on the Home Screen.

Thank you.

Ukoriscrap

I hate the continue watching on the Roku Home Screen!!!  Why can't we turn it off?  If we want to continue watching, we can open the app channel.  If it works, quit trying to fix it!!!  We don't need more on our home screens.  This is total bullsh!t.  I hate Roku more and more.  I am going to rate Roku only 1 star everywhere I can.  The Roku channel is going in the Garbage 🗑️!

Gotothebeach
Channel Surfer

Roku implemented this for third party apps to gather information on what is watched to bring users back to the third party app.  Google "continue watching Roku developers".  To get rid of it, I did the following and it worked:

1.  Press * for Options on each show in continue watching and select hide or remove (don't recall word used).

2.  Press * for Options on the Add Channels and Sleep Timer icons on Home Screen and remove. This removes all shortcuts on Home Screen, which Continue Watching fell under.

3.  Go into Settings-Home screen and hide What to Watch, Featured Free and Shortcuts.

4.  I also removed the Roku channel icon, pressed * for Options on the ad to right of Home Screen and selected hide, reset advertising identifier under Settings-Privacy-Advertising and deselected Personalized Ads and Smart TV Experience, and went to each third party app home page to login and deselect sharing of information with third parties.  Not sure all of this was necessary, but Roku obligates the the third parties to obtain a user's consent to show the Continue Watching on Roku.

Gotothebeach
Channel Surfer

Blocked.  Posting 2nd time.  Roku implemented this for third party apps to gather information on what is watched to bring users back to the third party app.  Google "continue watching Roku developers".  To get rid of it, I did the following and it worked:

1.  Press * for Options on each show in continue watching and select hide or remove (don't recall word used).

2.  Press * for Options on the Add Channels and Sleep Timer icons on Home Screen and remove. This removes all shortcuts on Home Screen, which Continue Watching fell under.

3.  Go into Settings-Home screen and hide What to Watch, Featured Free and Shortcuts.

4.  I also removed the Roku channel icon, pressed * for Options on the ad to right of Home Screen and selected hide, reset advertising identifier under Settings-Privacy-Advertising and deselected Personalized Ads and Smart TV Experience, and went to each third party app home page to login and deselect sharing of information with third parties.  Not sure all of this was necessary, but Roku obligates the the third parties to obtain a user's consent to show the Continue Watching on Roku.

Kây
Reel Rookie

@RokuJanadeeK 

SINCE WHEN??? Lol this is a NEW feature!

Please don't just dismiss our concerns like we are incapable of sniffing out pacification. It most certainly is NOT part of roku's operating system. The system worked just fine before this update. 

Paleogirl2003
Streaming Star

@Gotothebeach I already had all that toggled off and I still had the CW bar. I did do the reset advertiser identifier so thanks for that suggestion. 

I didn't see the disabling shading third party option under each app's settings, was that only if you reset the app you get that option?

I just removed them all from the CW bar manually, and the bar did disappear, but I'm guessing it will come back after I watch more content. 

Update: yeah it came back after watching some things

Warcat59

Interesting! I have a Roku Ultra and my workplace has a Roku Stick. On my Ultra, it does not have the continue watching (although I would like it to have it), but the Stick has it. I even checked to make sure the software was updated for the Ultra.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.