Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wsnydes
Reel Rookie

Can't remove show from home screen continue watching

I'm unable to clear a Netflix show from the Continue Watching line on my Roku Ultra home screen.  I've tried to use the asterisk button on the remote, but when I click on the "remove" option it doesn't do anything.  I've tried a system reset, I've gone into Netflix and removed it from the Continue Watching section there.  Nothing I've tried has fixed this.  It appears on two TV's, both Roku Ultra's.  Even the option to turn this line off would be useful.  Any help would be appreciated.

Labels (1)
22 REPLIES 22
CATMeT
Channel Surfer

Re: Can't remove show from home screen continue watching

How do I GET RID OF THIS AWFUL "ContinueWatching"  LINE from my Ultra Home Screen??

This is driving me nuts. I didn't ask for this. All of a sudden it just appeared by itself. I'm going to get rid of Roku Channel and Roku Live TV apps and see if that makes it go away.

Roku, why have you done this to us? 

If it ain't broke don't fix it!

Kim5784
Channel Surfer

A big Search box AND a Continue Watching line showed up when I decided to change my screen saver. I don't want either of these "features." And like you, the asterisk/options to remove shows from the list doesn't work. If I want to continue watching something, I'll open that app. I don't want/need Roku to "think" for me. I'm using two Roku sticks. If I'd realized what caused the problem on the one, I wouldn't have changed the other. 

Roku team - PLEASE give us the option to turn these features OFF!!! 

Sammy771

Starting yesterday I’m having same problem. Removed about 40 of them with the options button but can’t remove the last one with it. I too don’t want this feature on my home page. Ugh.

RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Community Users,

Thank you for posting here at the Roku Community!

May we know if you are inside the Roku channel or app or another channel or app when seeing "Continue watching"? If you are inside the Roku Channel, you can try these steps:

1. Go to My Movies.
  2. In the Continue Watching queue, highlight the movie you wish to remove.
  3. Press the settings button (*) on your remote.
  4. Select Remove from List and press OK on your remote.

If you are not inside the Roku Channel, there may be a different way with different channels. Please be advised that some publishers control what constitutes content completion (for example, end credits are shown). The arrangement has been completed; the channel makes a delete request to remove the content from the Continue Watching row.

For more information on the functionality of Continue Watching, you can check it out here.

All the best,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Wsnydes
Reel Rookie

Hi Janadee,

I'm referring to the base home screen that you're taken to to select apps or channels from.  It's not within any app or channel.  The shows that appear in the list are based on other apps (Disney, Netflix, etc) and can't be removed via the asterisk remove function.  

Simply having the option to turn this function off would be ideal.  I don't need or want the function, it's just another place that I have to pay attention to in order to keep the kids from getting at more mature content that they shouldn't be.

Edit: This appears to be occurring only on my Ultra devices.  I also have a Stick, but it has not shown up there yet(?).  

Kim5784
Channel Surfer

I am talking about the Home Screen - not the Roku Channel or an app.

The Home Screen on both of my Roku Sticks now has a large Search Box AND a Continue Watching list - and I don't want either of them. All I did was change my screensaver, and voila, two new "features" on the Home Screen that I don't have control over.

Give me the ability to "Hide" the Search Box AND the Continue Watching List and I'll be satisfied.

Paleogirl2003
Streaming Star

I hate this so much please let us disable it....

RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Community Users!

Thank you for your response.

The "Continue Watching" feature on the Roku home screen is part of the Roku Operating System; thus, removing it is impossible. Please be advised that some publishers control what constitutes content completion (for example, end credits are shown). Once the arrangement has been completed, the channel makes a delete request to remove the content from the Continue Watching row.

For more information on this feature's functionality, you can check it out here.

Best regards,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Paleogirl2003
Streaming Star

Roku added the feature recently so it's definitely possible to remove it, or make it user configurable. Several other of the home screen features in the settings menu are configurable this way. 

I'm sure there are parents that watch things they wouldn't want their kids to see on a home screen, as one example. 

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.