Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andy2
Binge Watcher

Bouncing logo, then stuck on blue screen

My second Roku device suddenly (when I turned on the TV tonight) shows a bouncing logo, then goes to a blue screen. Even though I can hear the normal response tones if I press the Home or other buttons, it stays on blue screen. While I'm doing this, my living room TCM/Roku television is in the other room working perfectly. I unplugged the power for a minute, then plugged in again, same thing. I don't know the model number, its a standalone device about the size of a pack of cards. Any suggestions? TIA. 

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Bouncing logo, then stuck on blue screen

The model number is written on it somewhere, although it may be hard to read.  If it's one that uses a USB cable for power make sure you're using the supplied power adapter and not the TV's USB port.  A few things to try:

• Unplug the power from the TV for a few minutes and then plug it back in
  • Try a different HDMI input on the TV
  • Try a different HDMI cable

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
andy2
Binge Watcher

I haven't changed anything, have not moved or even touched the cables. If I do a hard reboot of the unit, will I have to re-enter the Wifi info and everything else? 

I was also about to say that if there was a problem with the TV (like being on the wrong input), why would I see the bouncing Roku logo? But just now I went in to see if it magically fixed itself, and the dancing logo is gone, its just a blue screen. BUT, I do have audio from the first channel that is selected when I click the Sling button on the remote, so I know I'm on the correct input for the TV (Digital HD with an HSDI cable). So now, does it sound like I need a new Roku, or TV, or should I do that hard reboot of the Roku box? My model number is 3920x. Thank you. 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

The blue screen is usually some kind of HDCP (copy protection) issue.  That's why I suggested a different HDMI cable or different HDMI input or resetting the TV by unplugging the power (turning if off and on doesn't really do anything).  A bad power supply (like using an underpowered TV USB port) can also cause strange problems like this.  Try my 3 suggestions above.

If you wanted to factory reset you would press and hold the reset button for no less than 30 seconds with the power connected.  Once you set it up again all your channels/apps would return, but they would be in a new order on your Home Screen.  Any subscriptions you have through Roku would automatically work without having to sign in to anything, but any that you have directly with a provider would require you to enter your credentials again.

Disclaimer:  I have a 3920 and it's by far the worst Roku device I've ever owned and I've owned most models.  Replacing it wouldn't be a bad idea.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
andy2
Binge Watcher

hi Renojim and thanks for your help and advice. After not having time to mess with this for a couple days, I just went in and turned on the TV and Roku box and all is working normally, I never touched a thing. Can't explain it, but I'll take it. Thanks again. 

0 Kudos