Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jma75

Backdrop feature causing the Roku TV to power off

Jump to solution

This does not work when backdrop has done something to the TV which makes it power off every time you touch a button on the roku remote. So what do I do in that case? Because now the TV is completely useless. I can't do anything or it powers itself off. Why would you put an app on here that takes over complete control like that.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuRiamie-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: backdrops- cannot remove

Jump to solution

Hi @Jma75,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We understand that you are having trouble using your Roku remote to control your Roku TV while using the Backdrops app. No need to worry, as we are more than happy to assist you.

Before we proceed, we would like to know the following:

• What is the brand of your Roku TV?
  • When did you start to experience the issue?
  • Did you receive the recent software updates prior to this issue started? If so, what is the software version of your Roku TV?

In the meantime, we highly suggest you try using a Roku mobile app to see if it will work to control the Roku TV with the Backdrops app. Please refer to this Roku Support article: How to sign in to the Roku mobile app.

If the issue persists, we highly suggest you try the troubleshooting steps below to remove the Backdrops app on your Roku TV:

Method 1: Removing the App

1. Press the Home button: Locate and press the Home button on your Roku remote.
  2. Navigate to Backdrops: Use the directional buttons to move right and highlight the Backdrops app.
  3. Open Options Menu: Press the Star button on your Roku remote to open the Options menu.
  4. Select Remove: Choose the "Remove the app" option and confirm when prompted.
  5. Restart Roku: After removing the app, you must restart your Roku device for the changes to take effect.

Method 2: Disabling Backdrops

1. Open Backdrops App: Locate and open the Backdrops app from your home screen.
  2. Access Settings: Navigate to the Settings menu within the Backdrops app.
  3. Disable Backdrops: Select the option to disable Backdrops.

For more details, please visit our Roku Support article: How to use Backdrops on your Roku Streaming devices.

We recommend you try these troubleshooting steps and we look forward to your response.

Regards,
Riamie

Riamie D.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Jma75

Re: BACKDROP Removal Unsuccessful

Jump to solution

I can't use my remote at all or it Powers off the TV. I can't use the arrow buttons I can't use the home button I can't use the star button or anything. My TV is completely useless at this point.

0 Kudos
RokuRiamie-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: backdrops- cannot remove

Jump to solution

Hi @Jma75,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We understand that you are having trouble using your Roku remote to control your Roku TV while using the Backdrops app. No need to worry, as we are more than happy to assist you.

Before we proceed, we would like to know the following:

• What is the brand of your Roku TV?
  • When did you start to experience the issue?
  • Did you receive the recent software updates prior to this issue started? If so, what is the software version of your Roku TV?

In the meantime, we highly suggest you try using a Roku mobile app to see if it will work to control the Roku TV with the Backdrops app. Please refer to this Roku Support article: How to sign in to the Roku mobile app.

If the issue persists, we highly suggest you try the troubleshooting steps below to remove the Backdrops app on your Roku TV:

Method 1: Removing the App

1. Press the Home button: Locate and press the Home button on your Roku remote.
  2. Navigate to Backdrops: Use the directional buttons to move right and highlight the Backdrops app.
  3. Open Options Menu: Press the Star button on your Roku remote to open the Options menu.
  4. Select Remove: Choose the "Remove the app" option and confirm when prompted.
  5. Restart Roku: After removing the app, you must restart your Roku device for the changes to take effect.

Method 2: Disabling Backdrops

1. Open Backdrops App: Locate and open the Backdrops app from your home screen.
  2. Access Settings: Navigate to the Settings menu within the Backdrops app.
  3. Disable Backdrops: Select the option to disable Backdrops.

For more details, please visit our Roku Support article: How to use Backdrops on your Roku Streaming devices.

We recommend you try these troubleshooting steps and we look forward to your response.

Regards,
Riamie

Riamie D.
Roku Community Moderator
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.