Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wayn0r
Binge Watcher

“Allow Access to External Media”

Ever since my update to 12.5.0 (4176-48), I’ve been getting the “Allow Access to External Media” prompt asking if I want to allow apps to access attached media devices. I have a small hard drive with local media on it that I will continue to have attached to the tv on an ongoing basis and I’d rather not have to see this prompt every time I turn my tv on.

(As if the HUGE volume notifications and on-screen reminders that I have my physical Voice Control switch on my remote set to “off” aren’t unnecessary enough…)

Labels (1)
27 REPLIES 27
wayn0r
Binge Watcher

Re: “Allow Access to External Media”

Seems like fix for this is to disconnect your USB device, restart the Roku, connect the USB device, select “allow” when the prompt comes up, and then to restart again.

Not sure why this is necessary, but it seems to work so far. 🤷🏻‍♂️

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

This is a new message that was added with the last update. It's merely some legalese to make sure you understand when you connect an external drive it can be seen by the device and any installed apps. It's no different than connecting an external drive to your computer, everything on your computer potentially has has access to the drive. It's just the lawyers covering their hind end... 😄

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
wayn0r
Binge Watcher

No, seeing it every time you turn your TV on is a glitch. If we saw it once the first time you connected the device, it’d be as you described, but that wasn’t the case.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Are you powering your Roku from the TV? The message should only appear when the device is connected. I've never seen it appear again with the USB drive remaining connected to the Roku, but mine is always powered on. Turning the TV off and on should have no impact on that message appearing. 

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
wayn0r
Binge Watcher

It’s a Roku TV.

There’s no reason for this prompt to appear each time I turn my TV on.

0 Kudos
roccotcl

if you change to a different usb the notice reappears. The first time it happen to me it was it the middle of the night when I wanted to watch something. I obviously choose do not allow and it made any usb unusable. What a pain!!!!

0 Kudos
wayn0r
Binge Watcher

The problem I’m trying to get an answer to is why having the same device connected gets this prompt every time when I turn the Roku TV on.

0 Kudos
renojim

I'm guessing it powers down the USB port when you turn the TV off, so when it powers back up it's pretty much the same as reconnecting the device.  I don't know if it would help, but try enabling "Fast TV start" under Settings->System->Power.

This new "feature" obviously could use some improvement.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
wayn0r
Binge Watcher

It would be nice if this was under “settings” and we could make a permanent selection on this.