Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
burnout4life15
Reel Rookie

Advertisements and my Television

Jump to solution

Roku.

I realize in this day and age everyone seems to need constant supervision and entertainment. I do not. Last I checked, I am am adult, and I paid in full for my television. I believe it's accurate to state that it now belongs to me.

Why then I forced to look at an advertisement window that takes up the entire right side of my home screen on my 65" TV?

I did not purchase insurance for the device, I do not subscribe to Roku, YouTube, Facebook, Netflix, Hulu, Pluto, LG, Onn, Nintendo, Xbox, or any other subscription services. My living room is not located in a public place, nor can anyone who does not live here see inside my home.  What, then is the reason for this? If anything it feels like invasion of privacy to me, I didn't ask for advertisements, if I wanted to look at commercials, I'd go to the movies or watch live TV. 

If there is no solution for this, I feel compelled to ask for a viewing fee, as I was not made aware your advertising was going to be a part of my in-home viewing experience. Something like a dollar for every time I see an ad on my device, or at least a partial refund for the cost of the TV? 

P.S.- Walmart doesn't have any advertising on it, that's where I bought it, why do you?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
burnout4life15
Reel Rookie

Re: Advertisements and my Television

Jump to solution

I know, I just don't see a purpose for it. I will admit, of all the BS plastered on the home screens of other smart TVs, Roku is the least obnoxious. With the exception of this one ad window, the device is exactly what I wanted- an almost empty, wifi capable, 1080p display that I could install apps on.

It's not really a problem, more of a comment.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Most all streaming devices have some form of advertising on their home screens. Apple TV is basically the only one, but it is expensive.

0 Kudos
burnout4life15
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I know, I just don't see a purpose for it. I will admit, of all the BS plastered on the home screens of other smart TVs, Roku is the least obnoxious. With the exception of this one ad window, the device is exactly what I wanted- an almost empty, wifi capable, 1080p display that I could install apps on.

It's not really a problem, more of a comment.

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Those ads subsidize the cost of the device. Sort of like the old Gillette razors. Sell the razor cheap, and make up for it in the cost of blades. It's sort of the same with printers. Just bought a "tank" printer, and it's nearly double the cost of a similar regular printer.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.