Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ads through HDMI/ showing Ads when using other devices

I will never be purchasing a Roku product ever again. It is ridiculous that ads will pop up when using a Roku TV and I'm on my PS5, or using another device connected via HDMI. This is annoying, and it should be illegal. I hope Roku goes out of business. 

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Ads through HDMI/ showing Ads when using other devices

For what it's worth here's a pretty good explanation of what has happened and what might happen:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/04/hdmi-customized-ad-insertion-patent-would-show-rokus-ads-ato...

Could it happen? yes. When? Anybodies guess. This is only a patent. Could be years, could be never. 

Read article well worth the read.

0 Kudos
wildsprite
Roku Guru

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@umpapamaomao, can you post a screenshot?  What are these ads?  If they're showing features of your TV, your TV may be in store/demo mode.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
atc98092

Response from another Roku Guru who isn't on this forum:

This is simply a function of ACR (Automatic Content Recognition) which on Roku TV's is known as "Smart TV Experience" and recent functional improvements thereof, and it can all be disabled via:

Settings/Privacy/Smart TV Experience = unchecked (both Use info from TV inputs & Enable auto notifications)

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

In line with @Anonymous article, here is a concerning read straight from Roku.  https://advertising.roku.com/learn/resources/how-advertisers-can-leverage-rokus-acr-data/#!

Really starting to get more important to get back to the old method and habit of powering down these devices and depriving them of Internet access when not in use. 

When Roku starts adding battery backups to their devices, I will also start pulling the HDMI cable as well. 🙂

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.