Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jp144
Streaming Star

A setting to hide all tv-MA shows from The Roku Channel app

Jump to solution

I would like a Parental Control setting in The Roku Channel app to hide all thumbnails for selected MPAA ratings like tv-MA (but for me also Rated R and tv-16). You could let us decide if we want to filter our UR (unrated) or not.

BTW I’m okay with you defaulting The Roku Channel to everything showing up, but just give us the option to CHOSE to filter out content ratings we find inappropriate for our particular families.

For example… if I as the parent chose to filter out thumbnails with a tv-MA rating, shows like the following would not show up when my kids and teens are browsing for a show to watch…

French Nudists??? Seriously???
IMG_1733.jpeg

Cult orgies??? Seriously???

IMG_1734.jpeg

Hotel cocaine??? Seriously???

IMG_1732.jpeg

A strip club drama??? Seriously???

IMG_1735.jpeg

This world is seriously messed up. No wonder there’s so much drug addiction today. I’m not trying to change the world though. I just want an option to keep my family reasonably protected from the most egregious parts of it.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: A setting to hide all tv-MA shows from The Roku Channel app

Jump to solution

Hi @jp144,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We can certainly understand your concern that you want to manage parental controls on the Roku device.

Please be aware that we currently do not have the feature for global parental control settings on Roku devices directly. But we have parental control for The Roku channel and the Roku PIN feature.

For more information, visit our Support article on how to block content using Parental Control: Official Roku Support.

We appreciate your suggestions for having more parental controls on your Roku device. We'll pass this along to the appropriate Roku team for review. Who knows, your suggestion may be implemented in a future update.

You may also stop by the 'Suggest a feature' section of the Community to share any other thoughts.

Thanks for your interest. We hope to expand with more features to provide our customers with the best streaming experience.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @jp144,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We can certainly understand your concern that you want to manage parental controls on the Roku device.

Please be aware that we currently do not have the feature for global parental control settings on Roku devices directly. But we have parental control for The Roku channel and the Roku PIN feature.

For more information, visit our Support article on how to block content using Parental Control: Official Roku Support.

We appreciate your suggestions for having more parental controls on your Roku device. We'll pass this along to the appropriate Roku team for review. Who knows, your suggestion may be implemented in a future update.

You may also stop by the 'Suggest a feature' section of the Community to share any other thoughts.

Thanks for your interest. We hope to expand with more features to provide our customers with the best streaming experience.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jp144
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Thank you @RokuJechealR for passing this suggestion along. A PIN to not allow kids to open up tv-MA is a good thing, but it’s even better that they don’t see certain content at all. This is certainly true of all those examples I posted. So yes, please pass along the suggestion to give us the ability to hide tv-MA material.

Best Regards,

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.