Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StreamerSue
Roku Guru

Re: 4 hour limit affecting streaming stick recording

@surferdude2  My father is 85. I bought him a TCL Roku TV. Set him up with DirecTV Stream. He added his favorite shows to be recorded. He’s happy as heck. Plus he’s saving $100/ month over his cable bill 

surferdude2
Binge Watcher

Thanks to all who responded.  I found no relief from neither ROKU nor Spectrum support so will go forward with my own method.

I have found an off-the-shelf button pusher device that looks like would fill the bill.  It's cheaper than I could build one so I'll have to forego the pleasure of making my own version.

ButtonPusher.jpg

Found it here 

StreamerSue
Roku Guru

@surferdude2  you’re making this way too complicated. you have everything you need right in front of you, built  right into your Roku device and Spectrum. I even gave you other options to record things. YouTube TV is a way better option 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@surferdude2 

Never discount the level and spirit of American Ingenuity.  I am sure Thomas Edison, Alexander Graham Bell, Steve Jobs, and Elon Musk had doubters and naysayers as well.

If you can find something that works for you, go for it.  Remember, the best tool in your toolbox is usually duct tape.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
StreamerSue
Roku Guru

@AvsGunnar  He is using his VCR to record from the Spectrum channel on his Roku. Rather then using the DVR which is included in Spectrum 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@StreamerSue 

It is really of little concern to me how or why someone wants to do something in a particular manner or method.  Whether it can be done is all that matters.

Perhaps food for thought.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

surferdude2
Binge Watcher

@AvsGunnar wrote:

@StreamerSue 

It is really of little concern to me how or why someone wants to do something in a particular manner or method.  Whether it can be done is all that matters.

Perhaps food for thought.

@StreamerSue

You can appreciate that I'm dealing with an elderly lady that knows very well how to operate her VCR but has little interest in learning a new method for recording.  She just wants to continue as in the past.  I can provide her with that easier than I can convince her against her will to rethink and retrain her 1939 model biological processor.

@AvsGunnar  I like your food for thought.  I follow that same kind of diet. Smiley Wink  It's often the only thing on the menu when dealing with someone that exemplifies the old agage, "A person convinced against their will is of the same mind still."  I'll skin this cat one way or the other... I like a good challenge.

All the best,  SD2

0 Kudos
StreamerSue
Roku Guru

@surferdude2  My father is 85. My aunt is 81. My mother is 82. All three of them have Roku TVs. My father is using DIRECTV Stream and my mother and my aunt are using YouTube TV.  All three of them have added their favorite shows and can watch them when they want as many times as they want in full HD. And once you add a show to your library it will record all the time no matter what until you remove it from your library. It doesn’t get any easier than that. They don’t even have to think about power outages or anything because no matter what their shows will always be recorded and they can watch them from anywhere in the world. Why don’t you at least try it then you don’t have to worry about power outages are buying switches or time limits or anything. Unlimited DVR means you can record as much as you want. You can’t say that about a VHS tape. Plus they do everything with one single Roku remote.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.