Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OperatorD80
Streaming Star

Re: 4 hour limit affecting streaming stick recording

@surferdude2  Now you’re throwing a whole Nother mix into this picture. So you have an HDMI converter to AV? So you have an older TV I take it? And your using the Spectrum channel on your Roku or Spectrum cable box? This has nothing to do with Roku’s by the way. No DVR requires the actual device to be on to record. It’s all done in the cloud. I use YouTube TV and have tons of recordings that occurs when I’m not home for days. It records in the cloud. Can you please explain in more detail about what you are doing and how you are doing it. What service are you recording from? This link? Your Roku never turns off. Your Roku or TV don’t have to be on to record something in the cloud. I turn the power off to my entire home and everything will still record cause it’s all done in the cloud. It would really help to understand which channel you’re doing this on and how you’re doing it. But it definitely has nothing to do with Roku

https://www.spectrum.net/support/tv/how-record-and-view-programs-cloud-dvr#:~:text=from%20your%20dev....

0 Kudos
surferdude2
Binge Watcher

@OperatorD80 

I meant to say data cap.  My Spectrum service doesn't have a data cap but they do have download speed throttling for certain user tiers.  I'm not subject to throttling.

The stick (ROKU Streaming Stick 4k) is plugged into an HDMI to Component converter.  All devices are on constant power via their own wall warts and power cords.

The recorder is my own property.  It stores the content locally on its own medium.  The cloud isn't involved.  It makes beautiful recording but only if I start the session and end it before any 4 hour period of non participation of streaming has elapsed.

0 Kudos
OperatorD80
Streaming Star

@surferdude2   So the plot thickens even farther. You still have yet to explain how you’re recording anything. Are you using the Spectrum channel on your Roku? You cannot record anything from your Roku directly to a DVR box. That’s not how it works. Exactly what are you trying to record and from what channel?

So far you added an HDMI conversion and DVR box. Anything else you want to throw into the mix? So have you done this before successfully? So your recording your Spectrum channel on your Roku with your own DVR box? that cannot be done. So are you using something like a HomeRun? TiVo? Tablo?

0 Kudos
OperatorD80
Streaming Star

0 Kudos
surferdude2
Binge Watcher

@OperatorD80 

So the plot thickens even farther. You still have yet to explain how you’re recording anything. (I'm using my own VCR.)

Are you using the Spectrum channel on your Roku? (Yes.)

You cannot record anything from your Roku directly to a DVR box. That’s not how it works. Exactly what are you trying to record and from what channel? (I am wanting to record channel 12 CBS from the Spectrum app of the ROKU stick)

So far you added an HDMI conversion and DVR box. Anything else you want to throw into the mix? (No, I didn't actually want to include any of these in the list but only did so to answer your questions. They aren't relevant to my issue.)

So have you done this before successfully? (Yes, it works very well and I do it every day by starting  the streaming stick no earlier than 4 hours prior to the end of a recording session.  I just hate having to get up early to initiate the streaming to beat the clock)

So your recording your recording your Spectrum channel on your Roku with your own DVR box? that cannot be done. (Sure it can! I'm doing it every day)

I'll apparently have to come up with some answer on my own.  I am retired after a long career in electro-mechanical and electronic device R&D and enough computer coding work to be able to reverse engineer most programs to my liking.  I realize that doing that would be a violation of several EULA's so I won't be doing that.

Thanks for your responses nonetheless.

0 Kudos
OperatorD80
Streaming Star

@surferdude2  I provided you several links on how to record from the Spectrum channel on Roku. None of them involve a VCR. No one uses a VCR anymore nowadays. I haven’t owned a VCR or DVD player in over 10 years. I don’t even own a Blu-ray player. Your recording an HD program onto an SD tape. The fact you do you said A/V cables let me guess this is also a picture tube TV? Plasma? If you want to record off the Spectrum channel for Roku then follow the instructions that Spectrum has provided. 

0 Kudos
OperatorD80
Streaming Star

@surferdude2  This video is all you need

https://youtu.be/mf5joxESP7M

0 Kudos
surferdude2
Binge Watcher

Thanks for the responses.

I think I've pretty well run aground in the search for a simple answer to unattended streaming unless I take on yet another pay to use service from Spectrum.  Their recording service isn't all that expensive but I just hate to throw away a perfectly working DVR and VCR and pay Spectrum to do the job that both of those units did very well before I ditched the set top boxes and went to ROKU sticks.  

If I wanted to be cynical, I'd say that someone had ulterior motives.  I suspect that "someone"would be Spectrum.  I already pay them $213/mo. for their service.  I could add the Cloud recorder service for a mere $9.99 but it chaps my backside to throw away good equipment and pay for what it was doing better than what I'll be getting.  I want physical possession of the recordings, just like I had before deciding to go with the ROKU device and got stuck with the Spectrum app in order to view the service that I pay them for.  Another downside is that I have to explain how this sort of progress is great to a lady that is 84 years old.  I'll likely have to trash the stick and put the set top box back on her TV.

No, I don't have any CRT TV's.  I have 5 flat screens (LED backlit units), 4 in the house and 1 in the garage) that are running the streaming sticks... only 2 of them are needing the recorder hookup.  The sets in question are Vizio 32" models and less than 1 year old.

End of rant.  If you made it this far, I'll put you on my "Patience of Job list."  I'll take up the issue with Spectrum and let them know how I plan to ditch them when fiber optics gets installed in my area next year.  In the meantime I'll come up with something to defeat their timer, either electronically or mechanically.  Since the ROKU remote control is RF, I may be able to use my spectrum analyzer to view their control pulse for the volume buttons and emulate it.  A simple electro mechanical kludge might be easier though.

All the best, sd2

0 Kudos
StreamerSue
Roku Guru

@surferdude2    Simplify your life rather than complicating it. Only use Spectrum for internet and sign up with a live TV streaming service such as YouTube TV, DirecTV Stream or Hulu + Live TV. All of those services include unlimited DVR free with your package. No need for a VCR anymore. You can record as much as you want anytime you want. I’m full HD

surferdude2
Binge Watcher

@StreamerSue wrote:

@surferdude2    Simplify your life rather than complicating it. Only use Spectrum for internet and sign up with a live TV streaming service...

That's good advice for later when the present constraints are behind me.  The challenge now is to make local device recording work for an elderly lady as it did before changing to the streaming sticks.

Often a group can't move any faster than the slowest member (think elderly lady)

All the best, sd2

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.