Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gonilho2

YouTube working good now on old Rokus?

Anybody with an old Roku, is YouTube working better for you now?

So, I gave up on YouTube on the Roku for a while now. I have a Roku 3 which I bought 10 years ago. YouTube worked great when I first got it.

But during the last few months to maybe a year, almost every day it would hit an ad and give me a gray screen which I could only fix by backing out of YouTube or rebooting the Roku. Same thing with videos. Almost every day, I would run into a video that would stutter or just freeze. I would have to back out of the app and come back in or reboot the Roku again.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: YouTube working good now on old Rokus?

Hi @gonilho2

Welcome, and thanks for posting to the Roku Community!

We understand you're having trouble streaming the YouTube channel on your Roku 3 device, and we appreciate the steps you took to resolve the problem.

In some cases, removing and reading the affected channel may help to resolve the issue. That step is crucial when performing troubleshooting. We recommend following the suggested order (remove > restart > re-install).

We also suggest restarting from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System  > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step) > System restart.

However, since the Roku 3 was released in March 2013, about 10 years ago, it's possible that newer codecs on YouTube may not play as well with it.

You could contact YouTube directly to enquire, as channels maintain their own Roku packages. The Roku 3 does still receive OS and channel updates.

If it's time to replace the device, on your Roku 3, navigate to My Offers on your home screen and see if there are any personalized offers for a new Roku player for you.

In addition, make sure your Roku device is on the latest channel and OS version by navigating to Home > Settings > System > System update > Check now.

We hope this helps. Please keep us posted on what you find out, and we'll continue assisting you from there.

All the best,
Chel

A

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.