Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will my streaming services remain logged in if I switch wifi networks?

My dad currently does not use any streaming services, only cable, but is undergoing surgery soon that will have him laid up for six weeks. He wants to finally binge some of the shows I've recommended to him on Netflix, HBO, and other platforms I already use and would happily share with him. He's not the most tech literate, and won't have the energy to deal with much post-surgery, so I want to very easily set him up with all of my account log-ins, but I live far away. I was hoping I could buy a 4K Roku, set it up, log in to all of my streaming services, then mail the device to his house so he only has to plug it in and enter his home wifi details. Ideally, then he can just open HBO and see a profile that says "Dad" and go from there.

Can anyone confirm this will probably work out the way I am hoping? Is there a time limit on how long a device can remain unconnected to wifi and still maintain user data like log-in information? I'm tempted to just try it as I've imagined it. The worst case scenario is it doesn't work, I'm down the cost of shipping, and my dad has to manually enter all of my login information anyway. Any suggestions are helpful!

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Will my streaming services remain logged in if I switch wifi networks?

It should work.  It's probably not the network connection that will matter, but the location of the device, i.e., HBO (for example) may notice the same account is being used from two different locations and block it.  I've read that Netflix is cracking down on this sort of thing, but I don't have any experience with it.  You could leave a device disconnected in your own home for months and it should be fine the next time you connect it, although some providers make you reenter your credentials periodically.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.