Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bratface
Streaming Star

What has happened to the channel numbers on the streaming channels?

Today is October 26, 2023 & I would like to know what happened to the channel NUMBERS for the streaming channels? They were there yesterday? Any idea what is going on?

184 REPLIES 184
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: What has happened to the channel numbers on the streaming channels?

"The Live TV Channel Guide is getting an upgrade, with personalized ordering of 400+ channels, as well as the removal of channel numbers to enable simpler browsing."

https://www.roku.com/blog/os-12-5

Simpler?  I sincerely doubt that.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
bratface
Streaming Star

Easier browsing? Are you fricking kidding? All of the 'Roku' streaming ads tell us what number the channel is, so you expect us to browse through the WHOLE FRICKING GUIDE TO FIND THE CHANNEL WE ARE LOOKING FOR?

🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄😏😏😏😏😏

MarcusCarr
Reel Rookie

And they've changed the channel order. Not helpful.

AvsGunnar

Try switching channels within the Guide using the Voice Remote using the channel name.  You now get to navigate a submenu of options that pops up rather than merely switching to the channel number.

Roku cannot just leave well enough alone. I suspect established Roku users, older users, and those switching from cable are not going to like this change.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

randy8245
Channel Surfer

I've been a RoKu customer for many years now and I own 2 Roku televisions, also a 4K streaming box and have never griped about all the drastic changes that have taken place. I just went with the flow. Well that changes today. I made this account just now to let whoever is in charge here know that y'all have F'd the channel guide royally for me and most every user.

This has to be the most stupid update ever. It's by far a major downgrade. I can't believe someone could allow this rubbish update to pass onto the consumers which cripples and makes an unnavigable mangled unholy mess of the channel guide.

The channel guide now has all of the channels just willy-nilly about. It certainly isn't faster or simpler to get to channels without the numbers on them with whatever the idiotic reasoning was used to "order" them.

And to add amongst many things, one perhaps is the topper show stopper of all the other things the other users and myself have mentioned that is screwed up and missing, the blog link talking about this downgrade says;

"Instant access to more Live TV: The Live TV Channel Guide is getting an upgrade, with personalized ordering of 400+ channels, as well as the removal of channel numbers to enable simpler browsing."

Which is utter BS and a LIE!!!  There is no option to organize the channels when you click the star button on the remote inside the guide. It just gives the same old options it always has. Manage channels, which removes them and favorites them... But guess what, there is one major option that is supposed to be there and it's not!!!! There is no option anywhere that gives you personalized ordering of any of the channels.

In conclusion with my gripe, I rightly so believe that this is an absolute garbage update that has ruined the channel list.

bratface
Streaming Star

I DO NOT own a voice remote & have NO wish to! If this is Roku's way of getting us to buy another (more expensive) remote, well they can just go jump!

AvsGunnar

@randy8245 

Roku has a habit of pushing partial updates. (in other words, not all features are included with the push/change).  Eventually, the personalized ordering feature will be released. 

For now, I am going to be adding more channels to the Favorites list I guess.  

You are correct, this is a degradation, not an improvement with the Roku LiveTV guide.  I did not like it when other channel/apps did this with their numbered guides, and disappointed to see Roku follow suit.

---

@bratface 

I was being facetious regarding the Voice Remote.  Used to be able to quickly navigate the channels by saying the channel number into the remote.  Now, another menu pops up asking basically if I really want to watch the channel on LiveTV or install a standalone channel/app (if available) for the channel I want to watch.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

DALGOZ
Reel Rookie

This has to be the WORST IDEA in Television History.....CHANGE IT BACK...because ALL of your Patrons are UNHAPPY....You can find 1% of the People who have ROKU that are Happy with this "update" WORST MOVE EVER...LITERALLY 

irishkhan
Binge Watcher

Its awful !  NOT simpler at all.  Channels are a jumbled mess & near impossible to find.  And there is NO option for this so called "personalization".  Ive been a fan of Roku for years until these past few months, but now they keep making things so much worse for us users. ROKU TECH TEAM: PUT THE CHANNEL NUMBERS BACK !!!