cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Colette_M
Reel Rookie

Weird intermittent sound issues when moving around screen

Roku Ultra.

As of the last update (January 10, 2024), our nearly new ultra has started a weird problem.

Turn on a channel, say live TV, MST3K.  Everything is ok.  Press any "program control" key on the remote, let's say the left arrow to bring up the menu.

The sound stops.  Nothing on the menus is slow or different from before the last update, just the sound stops. 

Wait about 15 seconds and the sound comes back.  Press a key again -left again or Ok, doesn't matter much what - the sound goes off again and comes back on 10-15 seconds later.  If you keep pressing keys, the sound stays off.  If you stop pressing keys then after 10-15 seconds it comes back.

This did not happen before last update.

This happens on *all* channels/stations.  Hulu, Amazon Video, Live TV, etc...

It happens on any key that can control the playback, left arrow, okay, pause, FF, RW, etc.  And only when the key could control playback (like pause/resume will not trigger it in live tv because those don't do anything there, but in Hulu they do)

Changing to a new station/channel and the sound turns on pretty much right away (so it isn't some sort of "slow decoding").  And the sound doesn't go out of sync when it starts playing again, it is still synced up with video fine.

None of this affects video in any way at all, by the way.  Only sounds.

All things have been unplugged a couple of times now, hoping that would fix it.  No settings have been changed.  (Besides, what setting would it even be?)

Anyway, really annoying and hoping someone has an idea.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Colette_M
Reel Rookie

Re: Weird intermittent sound issues when moving around screen

Update -

We had the volume turned *way* up and found that the "quiet" times it wasn't actually off/muted, it was instead just at extremely low volume.

Also this still happens. 🙂 

Trying to think through what could possibly be wrong, ... I'm at a loss.  I'm pretty sure it has to be the Roku device itself - anything downstream like the TV should have no idea at all that "rewind" or at least *some* of those buttons were pushed, especially if there's no buffering involved and it just backs up 5 seconds and immediately continues playing.  So the sound being muted so far at those times seems like it's the source device causing it.

I'm surprised you pretty great folks in the community haven't even thought of things to try.

I'm surprised no one from Roku's thought "Huh, I can't think of anything but a hardware problem that would cause this, so maybe we should check into that."

0 Kudos
Colette_M
Reel Rookie

Re: Weird intermittent sound issues when moving around screen

It might be fixed.

My wife started it up this morning, and the Roku was awful confused about life, the universe and everything.  Grey screen, non-responsive.  But after 10 or 15 seconds of poking buttons it completely crashed and restarted.

When it came back on, it was doing the screen-reader thing (audio overlays).

I knew that 4 presses on the star key would turn that off, but the only reason I knew that was someone had a half-broken Roku in the forums, had the same sort of crash-and-audio-screen-reader thing was on, so someone suggested the 4-star press to turn that off.

But the point was, his weird problem was actually *fixed* after that, too.

So ... we paused, pressed play again in Hulu and it worked, the sound started immediately. 

Seems resolved.

0 Kudos