Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
philnjam
Channel Surfer

Unable to Turn of Descriptive Narration on Roku TV

There is a difference between descriptive narration on a tv channel and screen reader.  In accessibility, I only have the options of turning off screen reader, not descriptive narration.  I saw where some people have multiple language options (*English vs english), I don't have that option.  There should be some way to turn off descriptive narration.

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
RokuMel
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Unable to Turn of Descriptive Narration on Roku TV

Hi @philnjam

Thanks for posting at the Roku Community!

We understand that you'd like to turn off the screen reader of your Roku TV. To solve this issue, please follow the steps below:

• Play any content on your TV
  • Grab your Roku remote and look for a star button ( * )
  • Press the star button for 4 times and it should say " screen reader disabled "

You'll want to check this article as well to get further details: How to enable the text-to-speech screen reader on your Roku® streaming device

Let us know if you need further assistance!

Warm regards,

Mel

Mel
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
philnjam
Channel Surfer

The screen reader is not the problem.  There are television channels where a person walks to the far side of the room and a voice comes on that says 'Jane walked to the far side of the room'.  This is called descriptive narration intended for people with visual problems.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@philnjam, it depends on the channel/app you're using.  Some have you select the audio track before you start the video or using some kind of popup menu while the video is playing and others use the "Accessibility options" that are available when you press * while watching the video.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
philnjam
Channel Surfer

Accessibility options only have controls for screen reader.  There should be options to turn this off also.  The app I am using, is my cable input.  It does not play a video.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I'm going to edit my original response...

If it's coming from your cable input then the program would have to have multiple audio tracks via SAP for the TV to be able to switch from one to another.  I'm not sure if that's under Accessibility settings or somewhere else.  If there's a cable box involved then it may be something that's controlled with your cable remote.

Just to be clear, is there a cable box involved?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
philnjam
Channel Surfer

There is a cable box involved, but like the Roku TV, it does not have any options to change the accessibility. 

0 Kudos