Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Doggy
Reel Rookie

Re: Turning off display on a Roku TV

Jump to solution

Turn off display on the screen tcl.Roku tv when watching movies

0 Kudos
ecc77sd
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R wrote:

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

For more information about how to turn off your TV display while streaming music, visit our Support page here: Listen to music with the screen off

Thanks,
Danny

Seems you’re unable to grasp the issue that has been raised here for months and months.

We all know how to turn the display off while listening to music, such as from Spotify. But what we want to do is to turn the display off while streaming video, for example.

Let’s say we’re streaming some nighttime jazz from Youtube, and have set the timer on our TCL TV for 30 minutes. But we also want to turn the display off during those 30 minutes as we fall asleep.

Obviously this is no longer an option with a TCL (Roku) TV, which is why some of us have jumped ship and purchased other brands such as Sony Bravia, Amazon Fire TV, Amazon Fire Stick, etc., etc.

Get it now?

0 Kudos
Jlouis54

Jump to solution

Yes as of 2022 it does work this way: 

1) stream Spotify to your Roku tv (mine is a TCL)

2) bring up Roku app on your phone, go to Remote

3) press the microphone button and say “display off”

Voila! And press “OK” button to get it back on.  

0 Kudos
ecc77sd
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@Jlouis54 

We’re not talking about Spotify here, but to turn the display off regardless of whichever app one might be using. For example, if I’m listening to some music on YouTube but want the display off, it *used* be possible, but no longer since quite some time now.

Which is what this thread is about!

kc410
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

On my TCL 55R635 television there is a "Picture off" option that appears in the list on the left when pressing the * button. I don't believe this was present on my TV before one of the software updates that were made available. The screen goes dark, but the sound is unaffected.

ecc77sd
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@kc410 

Thanks for the tip! I just turned on a TCL TV in a spare bedroom to check, and the latest software version (11.0.0 • build 4193-30) DID bring back the option.

It used to be “Turn off Display” or some such thing, but now it’s “Picture off”. None too soon after at least two years, that’s for certain.

0 Kudos
Lenox
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Spotify user here.  I don't see the option to turn the picture-only off.  Even after Fast TV Start.  What am I missing?

TCL 65" Class 4-Series 4K UHD HDR Smart Roku TV – 65S455 

To turn off the screen using your remote, press Star star button on Roku remote and then scroll and ... 

The turn off display option is not there for me.  Anyone else have this missing even after enabling Fast TV Start?  Thoughts?

I'm trying to use my TV for music but not have the screen on all day.

0 Kudos
zipcat11

Jump to solution

d that the picture off option that is available when im using the youtube app, is not available for spotify. Didnt realize this was app dependant. Maybe its there with spotify premium?

0 Kudos