Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ahura999
Reel Rookie

Re: Turning off display on a Roku TV

Jump to solution

It really is! However the previous reply worked for me! Tell the microphone to turn off the display (while playing a song or it give a message saying that turning the display off is unavailable) and mine did turn off! 

0 Kudos
briberm

Jump to solution

I was able to turn off the display in the Pandora app by clicking the * options button. However, my preferred app is SiriusXM. Please make this feature available in the XM app! I tried the microphone and a message popped up with ”unable to turn off display” 

Thank you all for your posts on how to enable the feature in other apps. 🙂 now I know it’s possible! 

Jump to solution

When playing music with Spotify and Pandora I use the remote mic command "display off" or "on".

0 Kudos
gr4v1ty
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I get "Unable to turn display off" whenever I do the voice command thing. I've got TCL Series 6.

EDIT : I just got it. Fast start needs to be enabled AND then the turn display off command will work.

0 Kudos
CEG
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I just bought a series 3 TCL Roku TV and I added a UGreen Ethernet adapter that works pretty well. I'm only seeing up to 70 megs at best, but it works. It works until the TV shuts down then I have to restart the system to get it connected again. I do find when the power setting is set to allow power savings after 15 minutes (turns off screen only) I don't lose the connection, but I wonder about power consumption and wear on the device being powered up 24/7. This is really unacceptable to me. This is not the same thing as stand by. Comments?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

To everyone running out and buying remotes with voice activation to turn the screen off.  Save your money.  Just use the Roku app.  Is free and allows voice controls.  Same as the physical remote.  Just told mine to turn off the display.  Said "Thinking" and it turned it off.

0 Kudos
ecc77sd
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

First of all, thanks for the tip!

Unfortunately depending on the streaming channel app on my Roku TV, the Roku app may or may not work for turning off the display. It seems a function of the streaming channel app, not a general function of the Roku TV per se.

For example, using voice control in the Roku app does turn off the display in Spotify. But not for YouTube, which still shows “Unable to turn off display”.

It would be nice if Roku put it back in as a universal option for all apps, even the TV part!

kc410
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I just (7/21/2021) spoke to TCL Tech Support about turning off the picture on the TCL 55R635 television when listening to music. As of today this feature has not been implemented. Maybe a software update could fix the problem, but in the mean time, no sleeping to music with this TV in the loop.

0 Kudos
BenTheAsian
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

They took it off again and I can’t find out where to do it

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@BenTheAsian

Thanks for the post.

Can you please clarify the issue you are experiencing? With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

For more information about listening to music on your Roku TV with the screen display turned off, visit our Support page here: Listen to music with the screen off

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos