Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Levrden
Reel Rookie

Re: Turning off display on a Roku TV

Jump to solution

have a tcl too but can't find it. Could you explain where it is ?

0 Kudos
ecc77sd
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

You can turn off the display when you’re listening to music through one of the music apps. For example, if you’re using Spotify, push the * button on the remote will bring up the Options menu, where you can turn the display off.

However, if you want to only listen to something that has a bona-fide visual screen (such as a TV channel, Netflix, YouTube...), then there’s no option to turn the display off.

HTH!

0 Kudos
kpluck
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@ecc77sd wrote:

However, if you want to only listen to something that has a bona-fide visual screen (such as a TV channel, Netflix, YouTube...), then there’s no option to turn the display off.!

That is exactly what I was looking to do. I will start playing a video from Youtube, for example, where the visual content is irrelevant and I just want to listen to the audio. I do this for several reasons the most often of which is it can help me fall asleep. Towards that end, it is helpful to have the display off so I am not bothered by the light on the TV.

This is easy enough with an external Roku streaming device but the Roku TVs are more limited in this regard. 

-kp

ecc77sd
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I, too, would love to be able to turn off the display outside of music apps. Perhaps TCL could incorporate that in the next firmware update... After all, if the audio can be muted, why can’t the display be turned off? (The fact that the audio can be muted indicates to me that it’s a separate track from the video... Or??????)

nilay

Jump to solution

Unfortunately, It stopped working after the recent update (in TCL TV).

User32768
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@kpluck wrote:

@ecc77sd wrote:

However, if you want to only listen to something that has a bona-fide visual screen (such as a TV channel, Netflix, YouTube...), then there’s no option to turn the display off.!

That is exactly what I was looking to do. I will start playing a video from Youtube, for example, where the visual content is irrelevant and I just want to listen to the audio. I do this for several reasons the most often of which is it can help me fall asleep. Towards that end, it is helpful to have the display off so I am not bothered by the light on the TV.

This is easy enough with an external Roku streaming device but the Roku TVs are more limited in this regard. 

There's probably a section of this forum for new feature suggestions. If you post that one, I'd be happy to vote for it. I had that on my Samsung television - for ALL content - and it was quite useful. Especially when combined with the "sleep" timer, for the purpose you mentioned. As Roku has demonstrated - with the various audio content apps - that this is possible, it should be easy/straightforward to add as a general feature.

kpluck
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I went ahead a made a feature request…here is a link to the post.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Suggest-a-Feature/Feature-Request-Ability-to-turn-off-display-while-co...

-kp

ahura999
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Does your spotify app still have the option? I have a 6 series and it only shows on my Pandora app.

0 Kudos
stevem1

Jump to solution

It's really stupid, but on my TCL Series 6 I can no longer use the * button to call up instruction to "turn off display" I thought my remote was no longer working properly.  Based on one of the answers that said a voice instruction might work I purchased a remote with voice control and was delighted to learn that when I pressed the microphone button and said "turn off display" it actually worked. And it also responded to a voice instruction to 'turn on display". 

Roku should be ashamed of themselves for not disclosing this problem and the solution.

Levrden
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It worked fot me with the standard remote, by activating the fast start, but since the last update, it doesn't work anymore. Just a shame from roku to make such bad choices when we try to consume les energy...

0 Kudos