Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuMel
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: TV volume changes on its own with Roku ultra and 4K streaming sticks

Jump to solution

Hello @Rhondacav66 

Thanks for posting at the Roku community.

We understand that you're having issues with the volume of your streaming device and we apologize for the inconvenience. Can you please provide us the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version ( therse can all be found in Setting > System > About )
  • Do this issue occur on a specific channel? If so, what channel and what version/build is the channel ( this can be found in selecting the channel on the Home screen, and press the * button using your Roku remote)
  • We also need an issue ID ( these can be found by pressing the Home button 5 times and after that, press the arrow pointing left 5 times. It will give you an issue ID tracker and please provide it to us so that we can report it to our engineering team.

We'll wait for your response.

Best regards,

Mel 

Mel
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Airborne

Jump to solution

Retired digital communications software engineer here.

The volume change is often accompanied by an audible "pop".

IMHO there is a malformed packet in the data stream that is being interpreted as valid by the audio codec. Somewhere down deep in your audio stack this is causing a permanent change to an audio gain that only gets reset by a total reset of the codec by switching apps or channels.

It's going to be tough to find, but the code is probably relying solely on a CRC test passing but that will still fail in some very low percentage of corrupt packets. If the code is not validating the rest of the data as somehow "making sense" or if it doesn't have an overriding heuristic of what a real audio stream is like, then at some point it will break.

Sunny54
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I never experienced an audible pop. I would have noticed as this tv is very close to me in the kitchen.  I use it while working in there. 

0 Kudos
Bonsler
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I thought that everything would improve with the newest software update on Roku but it just got worse. In addition to the volume changing, the voices get out of sync, the picture freezes and you can't change the stations. You have to either change the station (if possible) or go back to home and get back into Xfinity. We use the Xfinity streaming app on Roku and from what I've found in my research, Xfinity is supposedly working with Roku to resolve the problem with their streaming app. Xfinity recently updated their streaming app and that is when all the problems started. We've haven't noticed any problems with other streaming apps, i.e. Hulu, Netflix, Disney, etc. 

Please please someone from Roku look into all of our complaints and contact Xfinity to get the app problem resolved. We are so frustrated that we're seriously considering purchasing Firesticks at this point. 

RokuArvyS
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Sunny54 
Thanks for posting at the Roku community.

Since you've encounter an issue with your Roku device, we need to collect your information such as:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Setting > System > About )
  • Does this issue occur on a specific channel? If so, what channel and what version/build is the channel ( this can be found in selecting the channel on the Home screen, and press the * button using your Roku remote)
  • We also need an issue ID (this can be found by pressing the Home button 5 times and after that, press the arrow pointing left 5 times). It will give you an issue ID tracker and please provide it to us so that we can report it to our engineering team.

We'll wait for your response.

Best regards,

Arvy

Marc
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos