Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xt-2213
Reel Rookie

TV Won't Scan For Channels after USB Update

Jump to solution

TV Won't Scan For Channels after USB Update

I recently bought a Westinghouse, then a Hisense.  Both have the same glitch.  I can set up fine, WITHOUT WIFI, and do a scan for OTA channels.

But on both TVs, after I did a non-Wifi USB update, the TV will NOT again scan for channels.

THE DETAILS:   The USB update causes all OTA channels to be lost.   So when I attempt to do a new "scan for channels" it fails.  Actually, it hangs up.  The same was true of both the Westinghouse and Hisense ROKU smart tvs.

I'd like to get this fixed.  If not, I'll have to give up on a Roku-based set and look at other options.

Here are the steps I followed:

I set up fine, no wifi, and obtained OTA channels.

I did a USB update.

The TV channels were lost after the update.

So I attempt a new scan of channels, by…

Settings, TV Inputs, Live TV, Set up input…

At this point the TV should open a dialog box to begin scanning for channels.  Instead, the screen hangs on a graphic of an antenna - and never proceeds.

Again, this happened on a Westinghouse (which I returned) and now on the newly bought Hisense - both ROKU smart tvs.

As the problem has appeared in both TVs, and after a USB update, it appears to be a Roku problem.

Does anybody know how to get the darn tv to do a fresh "scan for channels" after a USB update.   Again, I'm not wifi-connected.   The TV will just be used as a simple OTA set.

BTW:  it's definitely NOT an or reception antenna problem.  Other tvs work fine in the same location.  Any help is appreciated.

xt-2213

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuReynan-L
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: TV Won't Scan For Channels after USB Update

Jump to solution

Hi, @xt-2213.

Welcome and thank you for posting here in the Roku Community!

We're happy to help you with the issue you're experiencing with the Live TV channels.

We suggest doing a factory reset and skipping the update part to avoid any issues on scanning channels.

In addition, depending on where you live, you may be able to receive free "over-the-air" TV broadcasts from nearby TV stations using an HDTV antenna.

You may also visit this support article on how to find TV listings using Live TV Channel Guide

We hope you'll find this information helpful. Let us know if you still have any questions.

Regards,
Reynan

Reynan L.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuReynan-L
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @xt-2213.

Welcome and thank you for posting here in the Roku Community!

We're happy to help you with the issue you're experiencing with the Live TV channels.

We suggest doing a factory reset and skipping the update part to avoid any issues on scanning channels.

In addition, depending on where you live, you may be able to receive free "over-the-air" TV broadcasts from nearby TV stations using an HDTV antenna.

You may also visit this support article on how to find TV listings using Live TV Channel Guide

We hope you'll find this information helpful. Let us know if you still have any questions.

Regards,
Reynan

Reynan L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
xt-2213
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks for the suggestions.

1.   You suggest doing an antenna scan for OTA channels.  To be clear, that's what I've been trying to do.  As I mentioned in my original post, this worked fine on initial set up, but after a usb update all channels were lost, and the unit hangs when I try a new "scan for channels". 
  2.   You suggest doing a Reset and SKIPPING the usb update part to avoid any issues on scanning channels.

I've tried that, both a Reset via the rear button and also a Reset in the Settings, System Info area.

Here's the result:   you may be aware that after a reset, the unit does NOT completely reset.  It still retains the usb update.   For example, System Info shows the following…

Out of the box SW ver was:  11.0.0 build 2990-G5

After the usb update:  13.0.0 build 24062-G5

After multiple Resets:  13.0.0 build 24062-G5

So a reset does NOT get rid of the update and return the unit to a real "out of the box experience".  Perhaps a Reset that got rid of the usb update would allow me to again scan for OTA channels.

SO MY QUESTION NOW IS:   An suggestions on how to do a reset that will TRULY be a full reset, and get rid of the usb software update?

Again, all I'm trying to do is use the tv as a non-wifi TV for OTA channels.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.