Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wkoffel
Binge Watcher

Re: TCL TV - Did we lose the ability to remove on screen volume display with latest update?

That's it exactly.  Why are we having the same conversation over and over?  There should be a product manager who can share something simple like: "hey, yes, that feature was removed.  We will consider restoring it, but we don't have any timeline for that."  Don't love that, but at least it's a respectful and informed answer.

And then fix the support pipeline so they stop pretending like it might be fixed every time they do unrelated software updates.

The last year of engagement in tickets and on this forum can only be interpreted as either 1) Roku product and support teams are idiots, or 2) They think we are.

I suspect neither is true.  It doesn't need to be this way.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: TCL TV - Did we lose the ability to remove on screen volume display with latest update?

@baldonetoo @NotYourIngenue 

Thanks for the follow up and providing us with your information.

I have passed the information along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate the issue further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@baldonetoo @NotYourIngenue 

Thanks for the posts.

Can you please specify the steps to reproduce the issue you are experiencing as well as what device(s) are connected to your Roku TVs?

With more information, the team investigating this issue will be able to look into this further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
coneslayer
Channel Surfer

I don't know whether to compare this thread to Groundhog Day or Memento. It's been capably described many times, but about 7 pages of the oldest posts were deleted for some reason, so context has been lost. I'll describe the issue again.

Equipment:

TCL 55R615
Roku 10.0.0 build 4195-30

Denon X3400H audio-visual receiver (AVR)

The TV is connected via HDMI cable from the TV ARC port to the AVR output port.

On the TV, HDMI CEC/ARC is enabled, as this is necessary to hear TV audio on the AVR.

The TV speakers are disabled, and the AVR is used for audio regardless of the source.

Observed behavior:

When changing the volume on the AVR, a volume indicator is shown by the TV/Roku OS in the upper right corner of the screen. This volume indicator is (a) distracting, (b) unnecessary, as the volume is shown by the AVR as well, and (c) confusing, as the volume is shown in different units by the TV than by the AVR (0-100? for the TV; dB below reference, typically negative values, by the AVR).

Expected behavior:

Because the on-screen volume display is distracting, unnecessary, and confusing, an option to disable the TV's volume display is desired. Such an option used to exist in the TV settings, but it was removed in some 9.x version (I don't remember which version, or exactly where it was in the menus, because of the deleted messages in this thread).

baldonetoo
Streaming Star

Danny,

I’ll direct your attention to member, coneslayer, in the previous post who summed this up excellently and except for my receiver being different,, (Onkyo TX-NR676), my situation mirrors his exactly as I’m sure everyone in this thread can agree.

Coneslayer summed it up perfectly and his post contains all the information you need to forward on to your team to exactly describe the situation.

Thanks

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@coneslayer @baldonetoo

Thanks for the posts.

I have passed along the information for further investigation.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
baldonetoo
Streaming Star

So, Roku,

Let me know if I'm seeing this correctly. Not only did you push through another update, 10.5, but this update also juggles around the ARC menu and where to find it and you still did not fix the on-screen volume issue that has plagued us for 2 years now?

Fantastic. I'm very disappointed that you have yet again failed to address this issue which is obviously bothering a lot of your users.

dylthom

Any updates?

0 Kudos