Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SoCalWatcher
Reel Rookie

TCL Series 6 55” Abruptly Changes to Netflix!

Jump to solution

TCL 55” Roku TV 6-series

Here’s a problem different from the other Netflix issues I’ve seen here. About 3-4 months ago, the TV’s built in Roku would randomly start Netflix when I would pause or FF or RW in YouTube, Hulu or Paramount+. I would then have to go to Roku home and restart the app I was just watching. It started happening about once a week. Recently it’s become more frequent at several times a day! Tried factory reset, no change. Removed the Netflix app and the error opens the Netflix install screen in the Roku app search! So Roku is really trying to open Netflix and not just the app in the prime top left location. Is this Netflix’s plot to take over the world?? Seriously though this is really annoying! I suspect a software update 3-4 months ago had a bug and it needs to be fixed. In all other aspects, I love my TCL tv and Roku!  HELP!  Thanks 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: TCL Series 6 55” Abruptly Changes to Netflix!

Jump to solution

I suspect the Netflix button on your remote is acting up.  Try plucking at it in case it's stuck.  Otherwise, try taking the batteries out of the remote (assuming it's not rechargeable) and using the mobile app as a remote.  If the problem goes away, you'll know it's the remote.

Roku Mobile App - Free for iOS® or Android™ | Roku

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @SoCalWatcher 

Thanks for posting, and welcome to the Roku Community.

We see that you're having an issue with an unintentional command on your Roku TV, and we'd like to help and provide some options to address the issue. In addition to @renojim's suggestion, we recommend using the Roku mobile app as a remote and observing if the issue is still persistent. Refrain from using your Roku remote for the duration of the observation, and you can also remove the batteries to disable their usage.

You can download it here at Roku Mobile App - Free for iOS® or Android

Let us know how it goes and we'll move forward to the next step in addressing the issue.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

I suspect the Netflix button on your remote is acting up.  Try plucking at it in case it's stuck.  Otherwise, try taking the batteries out of the remote (assuming it's not rechargeable) and using the mobile app as a remote.  If the problem goes away, you'll know it's the remote.

Roku Mobile App - Free for iOS® or Android™ | Roku

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @SoCalWatcher 

Thanks for posting, and welcome to the Roku Community.

We see that you're having an issue with an unintentional command on your Roku TV, and we'd like to help and provide some options to address the issue. In addition to @renojim's suggestion, we recommend using the Roku mobile app as a remote and observing if the issue is still persistent. Refrain from using your Roku remote for the duration of the observation, and you can also remove the batteries to disable their usage.

You can download it here at Roku Mobile App - Free for iOS® or Android

Let us know how it goes and we'll move forward to the next step in addressing the issue.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
rfmuth
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I had a similar issue with my 32" TCL Roku TV not long after I starting using it, a year or so ago. It used to skip back to the home screen, as I recall.  The TCL remote is a piece of junk.  I had to "retire" that remote and buy one from Roku in order to get it to stop acting up.  For various reasons, I have used a few different Roku remotes with that TV, and the only one that caused a problem was the one from TCL that came with it.

For what its worth, the TCL TV is sub standard, in my opinion.  In addition to the remote acting up, I have problems with a couple apps that I do not have on any other Roku device. (I only use 4 or 5 apps on it, since it is in my office.)  In hindsight, I should have bought a regular TV and a Roku add-on device. When I bought it, Roku was not selling their own TVs.  I may start using the Roku stick I have just for travel and see if that fixes problems with the apps.

SoCalWatcher
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

My thanks to you all for the quick help response!  My son also suspected the remote being flakey as he likes to use the Roku mobile app and never saw the Netflix problem!  So after re-pairing a spare Roku remote with the TCL, it worked GREAT!  So I get to keep the TCL around a few more years... 

Thanks @renojim!

@rfmuth  , have to agree about the less-than-great build quality of the TCL Roku remote, but then I bought the TCL about 5 years ago just before the pandemic. So the remote does have some mileage on it, but I never use the quick jump keys!  But I do like the new Roku Voice Remote Pro (version 2)!  Feels much sturdier in your hand and love the auto backlit keys.  

I'm actually pretty happy with the TCL as far as picture quality, HDR and Dolby Vision. Not sure what apps are causing you issues but I did notice that if you have multiple Roku devices using the same owner email address, Roku tries to keep the SAME apps on all of them.  Or rather if you delete an app off of one, it deletes it off the others too.  A painful surprise if you are setting up a Roku for someone else in the house with diff apps.

0 Kudos