Premium audio. Made simple.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bereantrb
Reel Rookie

Streambar no longer functioning as Bluetooth speaker from PC

Since purchasing my Streambar over a year ago, I have been using it as a Bluetooth speaker, streaming music from my Windows 10 PC in the next room. It's been flawless, including using it just last week.

I noticed the Roku update allowing BT headphones to connect directly to the Streambar--yay! I connected my headphones and it worked great.

Later, however, I tried to play music from my PC to the Streambar but got no audio. No hardware or software changes were made, the only difference had been pairing the headphones. The Roku Streambar was no longer showing up as an audio output option in Windows (and it used to automatically switch over when BT connected).

I unpaired the Streambar and PC, then paired them again. They connected but still no audio out.

My TV showed the Roku Bluetooth screen with the title of a YouTube video that was open in a browser tab on my PC, but that audio did not come through the Streambar either. So it was connected, just not properly.

I checked the driver on my USB Bluetooth adapter. It was an old adapter and the drivers are no longer updated, but there had been no problem before. Regardless, since they're cheap I went ahead a got a new ASUS USB Bluetooth 5.0 adapter. Still, no go. All other updates are current.

Headphones paired with my PC still work properly, the audio automatically switches over to them. Only the Streambar is not receiving audio correctly. Something else, I'll have to take another look later (they're unpaired now) but I noticed that in the new Roku Bluetooth setup screen, my PC was appearing as headphones, which could explain the problem. But I'll have to double check when I re-pair them. Unfortunately the Roku is currently not showing up on the Windows pairing screen. I rebooted both PC & the Roku but I now cannot pair the two at all.

So in the end it seems there are problems with the new Roku Bluetooth update. Otherwise, any suggestions are welcome. The Streambar is currently my only speaker system in my living room so I really want to get this fixed.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Streambar no longer functioning as Bluetooth speaker from PC

You never mentioned going into streambar settings and pairing the computer to it, only trying to pair the streambar to the PC? 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
bereantrb
Reel Rookie

Yes, I tried that but it doesn't work. The new Roku menu only has specific profiles from which you select headphones, smartphone/tablet, wireless speakers, and subwoofer. The headphone profile is the only one that can see my PC but it doesn't work, probably since that would transmit from the Roku rather than receive.

With the previous Roku functionality, you simply paired it from the PC, the Streambar appearing in the Windows pairing dialog just like any other BT speaker or headphones. I got it to connect earlier but now, as I mentioned, it doesn't appear in the Windows dialog anymore, again suggesting something on the Streambar end.

One other observation is that when my PC is connected to another BT speaker or headphones, in the Windows Bluetooth settings screen those devices read, "Connected music" but the Roku only said "Connected." So as described in my original post, it connected but not properly.

0 Kudos
JimmyO
Streaming Star

I know you mentioned the problem started after a Roku OS update (presumably 11.5.x Build 4xxx).  Have you tried downloading the latest Intel Bluetooth drivers for your Windows PC?  I'm assuming you have an Intel chipset.  Not through Windows Update settings.  Use the Intel Driver Support Assistant (link below):

Intel® Driver & Support Assistant

It will give you the latest Bluetooth code and then retest.

JimmyO

0 Kudos
bereantrb
Reel Rookie

Intel Assistant shows no available updates. All drivers are the latest for motherboard chipset, BT adapter, etc. Plus, as noted previously, all other BT devices are working fine, even newly paired devices. Only the Roku Streambar fails to show up in the pairing dialog. I'm not surprised, since Roku totally overhauled BT functionality in the Streambar; some bugs are expected.

0 Kudos
Garettdurost
Reel Rookie

I bought the whole blast sound system today, sound bar, subwoofer and speakers. It was around 410$. Yikes. I connected my phone and loved the sound and was very excited to connect it to my pc. Some reason the Bluetooth option does not even show up for pc/computer like it says on website and box. I tried connecting it to the pc multiple times but it just would not show up. Extremely disappointing. Likely going to return and just buy a Roku stick and a separate sound system. This is on my windows 11 

0 Kudos
gentleman_geek
Reel Rookie

I solved this. Basically on the Streambar add a tablet or smartphone, then toggle to the PC and add a bluetooth device, it will show under other but not audio, then go to settings on your PC and go to sound, then manage sound devices. You should see a disabled option called TV tuner audio with Roku soundbar stereo underneath. Just enable it and you'll have the the roku as an audio output option via bluetooth.

bereantrb
Reel Rookie

Thank you very much. This worked - mostly. The only hitch is that even going through the smartphone/tablet setup option, Roku still ends up seeing my PC as headphones. As such it doesn't let me change the sound settings like Standard/Music/bass/treble. But I can access that through the iOS app - once it finally decides to connect. Or I can switch the sound settings before connecting. Not ideal but there is a workaround. At least I can listen to my music now. I just can't believe Roku broke a common feature like that, or hasn't fixed it yet. They also never replied to a months-old support ticket. Very poor support. So thanks again.

0 Kudos
Garettdurost
Reel Rookie

I can confirm this work the audio was very poor at first but I found an update for my pc that fixed the wonky audio. Not perfect but happy it works

0 Kudos
ZuBrique

My System is Windows 11 so I can't be sure that this applies to Windows 10 but likely it does or there is a similar setting.

On PC, in Settings --> Bluetooth & Devices --> Devices under Device settings toggle Bluetooth device discovery from Default to Advanced

After I did this I was ecstatic that my PC found the Roku Streambar.

I hope this resolves your issue as well.

0 Kudos