Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mayken454
Channel Surfer

Re: Slow Internet Download Speed on Roku TV

I'm getting that exact speed 91 or on a good day,92 . Sux

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Mayken454 wrote:

I'm getting that exact speed 91 or on a good day,92 . Sux

If you're using a wired connection, it will never be faster than that. Roku devices with a network jack use Fast Ethernet, which maxes out at 100 Mbps. With normal network overhead, you're seeing it as fast as possible. If you're wireless, there's a multitude of reasons you might not see anything higher than you do. But that would require a discussion about your access points, the settings in the radios, the security settings, and more. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Mayken454
Channel Surfer

Re: Slow Internet Download Speed

That's what I was seeing a lot all over, the TV's NIC. Guess we get spoiled because we have fiber now. Just for the **bleep** of it I had even tried switching my shotty BGW210 to Full Duplex over Auto Negotiating. No dice. 

0 Kudos
Mayken454
Channel Surfer

Yes, I'll accept the device doesn't have a gig port . Thanx 👍

0 Kudos
Channel Surfer

It’s the port on the TV which is not a gig port.  Very few TVs at the moment make one.  At some point but not for a while.

Nobody-Knows
Reel Rookie

0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

Roku TV's have a USB 2.0 port with a maximum port speed of 48O megabits a second. So, 480 megabits a second is the fastest the USB 3.0 gigabit adapter attached to a Roku TV could ever go.  Do you know if the adapter is compatible with Roku devices?

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

I've tried playing some high bitrate videos directly from the USB port on my Ultra. It could play the 180 Mbps clip, but not the 250 Mbps clip. I wouldn't expect any USB Ethernet adapter to do better than 200 Mbps at best.

As mentioned before, if you're only streaming content from the Internet, you'll never saturate the Fast Ethernet connection of the Roku. I've never encountered anything online that streams faster than around 20 Mbps, which is way below the limit of Fast Ethernet (100 Mbps). If you're streaming from a local media server, then that's when it's possible to exceed 100 Mbps. But only with ripped UHD content. The highest bitrate I've ever seen with ripped 1080 Blu ray movies was around 50 Mbps.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Nobody-Knows
Reel Rookie

@OwnerofDevices wrote:

Roku TV's have a USB 2.0 port with a maximum port speed of 48O megabits a second. So, 480 megabits a second is the fastest the USB 3.0 gigabit adapter attached to a Roku TV could ever go.  Do you know if the adapter is compatible with Roku devices?

Does that mean I can get 480 via USB port.?

0 Kudos
Nobody-Knows
Reel Rookie

• @atc98092 wrote:

I've tried playing some high bitrate videos directly from the USB port on my Ultra. It could play the 180 Mbps clip, but not the 250 Mbps clip. I wouldn't expect any USB Ethernet adapter to do better than 200 Mbps at best.

As mentioned before, if you're only streaming content from the Internet, you'll never saturate the Fast Ethernet connection of the Roku. I've never encountered anything online that streams faster than around 20 Mbps, which is way below the limit of Fast Ethernet (100 Mbps). If you're streaming from a local media server, then that's when it's possible to exceed 100 Mbps. But only with ripped UHD content. The highest bitrate I've ever seen with ripped 1080 Blu ray movies was around 50 Mbps.

My issue is that I get buffering when watching tv (YouTube TV, etc) even if it's hardwired. If it's not a speed issue what could it be.?
  • I have a TCL (65R635) with Roku built in (Roku A114x).
0 Kudos