Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sarja80

Roku stick 4k won’t connect to internet on boot up

I have 2 Roku 4k streaming sticks. Model 3820x Software version 12.5.0 build 4178-cu

Gradually over a period of a couple of months, when I turn on my tv and the Roku boots up, it does not automatically connect to the Wi-Fi like it used too. It doesn’t forget my Wi-Fi network. If I go to the network settings, it’s the first one on the list and the password is saved in the system. But I have to go there and tell it to connect. I noticed it happened once or twice, and then it started happening like every third time I would boot it up. Then it started happening to the second one occasionally. Now it happens almost every time I N boot either one.

It’s more annoying than really being a huge problem. But wondering if there’s a way to get them to start just automatically connecting like they did when I got them?

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku stick 4k won’t connect to internet on boot up

Hi @sarja80,

Thanks for reaching us here in the Roku Community!

Let's see if these troubleshooting steps work for you.

1. Press Home on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll and select Settings.
  3. Select Advanced system settings.
  4. Select Network connection reset.
  5. Select Reset connection.

Then try again, and let us know if you see the same behavior coming up.

Regards,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jcgc50
Roku Guru

I have the exact same problem in the same time frame with 3820 that I bought at the end of November and a 3810 that started having the problem before that and is one of the reasons I bought a new one. Software version on the 3820 after updating immediately is 12.5.0 ver 4178. I've chatted with online support and by telephone.

I've tried the network reset and changing HDMI ports. Support claimed an HDMI extender would help and sent a new one and, of course, it did nothing. I've learned that is you wait long enough it will connect to the wifi again. After getting the extender I timed it from reaching the home screen to connecting and it was a minute. I suspect a firmware update has caused this. My device is within 10 feet of the wifi so signal strength isn't a problem. The usb power source on the TV delivers the required 1amp.

I don't get the impression that support is going to try to get this looked into on the software end.

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @jcgc50,

Thanks for keeping us posted here in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you providing your suggestions, and we value your feedback. We always aim to provide our customers with the best streaming experience and convenience when using our services. How long does it take for your network to be connected to the Roku device? Have you tried powering your Roku device to the wall outlet to see if it fixes the issue? Kindly send us a photo of the running issue as our reference so we can look further into this.

We'll be waiting for your response.
All the best,
Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jcgc50
Roku Guru

As I stated in my post, it took just over 1 minute to connect to the network. Bear in mind, the TV which is connected via the same wifi network connects as soon as the home screen shows.  I could plug into a 110v power source which would solve the issue. However, why should I have to do that rather than have Roku fix what is likely a firmware update issue. I prefer the set up as is. A set up which worked fine for two prior 4K sticks and a Roku 3 until it didn't sometime in November or late October.

No disrespect intended but a photo isn't going to explain anything. Clearly, the majority of people must power their devices using the plug vs a USB port which is why we aren't hearing more about this.

My only goal in posting is hoping that Roku will look into the firmware which is something they won't do unless it's broadly reported. Barring that perhaps it will accidentally get resolved when they next update the firmware.

RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @jcgc50,

Thanks for the post here in the Roku Community!

Please be advised that Roku streaming players can be powered by connecting to the USB port of the TV (“USB-powered”). However, in some cases, the USB power provided by the TV is not sufficient to power the device. Even though your Roku device may appear to be working, running with insufficient power can lead to instability, crashing, and other unpredictable behavior. For more details, you can check out this here.

We hear you and we'll take note of this feedback. If there's anything else that we can do, please let us know.

Kinde regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jcgc50
Roku Guru

I'm well aware of the power need for the device. I have two USB ports one delivers .5amp and the other delivers 1amp which is the power requirement for the Roku device and, again, has worked flawlessly for four years with two prior sticks and a Roku 3.

0 Kudos